Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

How to UEFI boot S2600STB from P4101 SSD (1.024TB, M.2, 80mm, PCIe* 3.0 x4, 3D2, TLC)?

Brendan
New Contributor I

I am trying to UEFI boot an Intel S2600STB from an Intel P4101 SSD (1.024TB, M.2, 80mm, PCIe* 3.0 x4, 3D2, TLC). Where do I look in the UEFI settings to verify the SSD is properly enumerated as a PCIe* device? It appears the SSD is not being detected. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JoseH_Intel

Hello Brendan,

You are correct. We tested this same configuration on our lab and the result is the same. The PCIe M.2 SSD does not show up under BIOS. The reason is because they connect directly to the processor and these CPU directly attached devices show nowhere in BIOS. For SATA M.2 drives they show up under Mass Storage.

Been said that the question is if possible to install OS in this M.2 drive and the answer is yes. We tested with Windows installed and the drive show up under the available volumes and could be partitioned as any regular HDD.

I apologize about the confusion from the previous answer but that is how they usually work.

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoseH_Intel

Hello Brendan,

Thank you for joining the community

After enabling Advanced Boot Options>UEFI boot and reboot, you want to follow the steps listed in this article in order to find the PCIe SSD under Advanced>PCI Configuration>UEFI Option ROM>Storage Controller

For more details check the Technical Products Specifications at section 6.3.1

Hope it helps

Jose A.

0 Kudos
Brendan
New Contributor I

Thanks Jose. When I follow your instructions, the "UEFI Option Rom Control" screen is missing the "Storage Controller" section. There is only a "NIC Controller" section.

Edit: the SSD is installed in the top M.2 slot i.e. PCIe x 4.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello Brendan,

You are correct. We tested this same configuration on our lab and the result is the same. The PCIe M.2 SSD does not show up under BIOS. The reason is because they connect directly to the processor and these CPU directly attached devices show nowhere in BIOS. For SATA M.2 drives they show up under Mass Storage.

Been said that the question is if possible to install OS in this M.2 drive and the answer is yes. We tested with Windows installed and the drive show up under the available volumes and could be partitioned as any regular HDD.

I apologize about the confusion from the previous answer but that is how they usually work.

Jose A.

0 Kudos
Brendan
New Contributor I

Thanks Jose. The note at the bottom of Section 6.3.1 of the TPS confused me as it states that the M.2 drive will be "detected and visible by BIOS".

Since I want to install my OS (Linux) to the SSD, I sure hope the SSD shows up in the UEFI boot manager.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello Brendan,

In case you find further issues just let us know. We will proceed to mark this thread as resolved for now.

Jose A.

0 Kudos