Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage; and Intel® Xeon® Processors
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4302 Discussions

How to add 2nd SATA to system with existing RAID

idata
Community Manager

I have an S5000XVN/XLS Server Board in the SATA configuration. Currently there is the system drive which is plugged into SATA0. Additionally, there is a 6 drive RAID setup plugged into a AMCC/3ware 9650SE card. With this configuration, all is working as expected. I want to add an additional SATA drive (not to be part of the RAID) and am having problems doing so. When I add it into the system, the RAID stops working properly. I believe what is happening during the boot process is that the system drive (SATA 0) is initialized, followed by the new SATA drive, and then the RAID. Is there a way to have the system drive be followed by the RAID and then the new SATA drive?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

The order in which drives initialize, shouldn't have any affect on a standalone RAID card.

What is the card reporting? Have you tried disabling the Option ROM for the onboard SATA, since you're not using onboard SATA RAID?