Intel® QuickAssist Technology (Intel® QAT)
For questions and discussions related to Intel® QuickAssist Technology (Intel® QAT).
32 Discussions

How to check error statistics in Intel C627 QAT?

Alfago12
New Contributor I

Hi Team,

How to check error statistics in Intel C627 QAT? I searched the related documents but failed to find the answer myself. I've attached a file named "Intel_C627_QAT_statistics.txt" acquired from my device. What's the possible configure should I use? And in which directory should I search because the files in "Intel_C627_QAT_statistics.txt" seems unrelated with what I want?

I'm using Intel C627 QAT in my server. When use Sprient tester and simulate many concurrent users, the application has a OpenSSL 281 error which means "decryption failed or bad record mac".

The OpenSSL 281 error may be caused by the following reason.

```
The bad MAC (message authentication context) error is OpenSSL detecting a problem with the integrity of your communication layer. Normally this means that your packets are out of order or that you have lost some bytes.

Try doing a simple checksum of your encrypted data client and server side. You'll probably find that you've miscalculated a buffer size or something. Maybe you've got some packet fragmentation...
```
https://openssl-dev.openssl.narkive.com/z3GvY5Q4/decryption-failed-or-bad-record-mac-error-on-ssl-connection

The related QAT software version is as follows.

Driver: QAT1.7.L.4.18.1-00001

engine: QAT_Engine-0.5.46

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Alfago12,

Thank you so much for waiting.

The QAT related debug information is available at /sys/kernel/debug/qat_*, which is the content shown in the text file you provided. So from a QAT standpoint, you are looking at the right place. However, all fw_counters are at 0 which means the QAT endpoints have not been used. That means the application errors seem to be not QAT related because QAT was not even used to process any requests. Therefore, our best recommendation is for you to check your setup piece by piece. The first step is to make sure QAT is working as expected by running the sample application code. If it runs, then it means QAT works fine, then you can go to the next step and test the application you are using along with QAT to isolate where the root cause could be.

Best regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Alfago12,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Please let me review this information internally, and kindly wait for an update.

Once we have more information to share, we will post it on this thread.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Alfago12,

Thank you so much for waiting.

The QAT related debug information is available at /sys/kernel/debug/qat_*, which is the content shown in the text file you provided. So from a QAT standpoint, you are looking at the right place. However, all fw_counters are at 0 which means the QAT endpoints have not been used. That means the application errors seem to be not QAT related because QAT was not even used to process any requests. Therefore, our best recommendation is for you to check your setup piece by piece. The first step is to make sure QAT is working as expected by running the sample application code. If it runs, then it means QAT works fine, then you can go to the next step and test the application you are using along with QAT to isolate where the root cause could be.

Best regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Alfago12
New Contributor I

Thanks Victor,

Let me check on my side.

0 Kudos
Alfago12
New Contributor I

Hi Victor,

To transmit data over TLS, firstly TLS handshake should be finished and then the application data will transferred over TLS.

Which phrase does QAT engage in: only TLS handshake, or both TLS handshake and application data transferring over TLS? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Alfago12,

Thank you for your response.

Take as much time as you need and let us know if you will be needing anything else afterward.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Alfago12,

Please allow me to investigate this further. Once I have more information to share, I will post it on this thread.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Alfago12,

Thank you for your patience.

In regard to your question, QAT engages in both phases of TLS handshake and data transferring over TLS. Basically, what QAT does is offload the computation of cryptographic-related operations that may happen during the TLS handshake or during data transferring over TLS.

Best regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Alfago12
New Contributor I

Thanks Victor for your detailed explanation.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Alfago12,

I’m glad that you found the information provided helpful. Since the thread is now solved, we will proceed to close it.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Victor G. 

0 Kudos
Alfago12
New Contributor I

Thanks Victor, will do as instructed.

0 Kudos