Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

How to daisy-chain a RES2SV240 to a RES2SV240

CTowl
New Contributor I

Good day.

I have a LSI 9271-8iCC RAID controller card with a RES2SV240 expander connected to it using ports 0-3 on the expander. I want to add capacity by using a remote chassis containing a RES2SV240 connected to my existing system. I have installed a SFF-8087 to SFF-8088 adapter in each cassis for external cabling.

1 - Should I daisy-chain the 2 RES2SV240 cards? If so which ports should I use?

2 - Is it better to connect both expanders to the controller card?

Thanks. Cal

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello,

After checking the documentation for the expander card, it does not mention that daisy chain configurations between the expanders are supported. Please follow the configuration described on the users guide page 9 figure 4:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-031813.htm Server Products — Intel® RAID Expander Card RES2SV240 Hardware User Guide

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I have moved this thread to the proper support team

Allan.

0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Better connect each expander to card that chaining them, because controller have a maximum throughput limitation on each internal port, so SSDs can face a shortage of bandwidth. For HDDs 8 devices per controller port should be still a not-bottlenecked config.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

After checking the documentation for the expander card, it does not mention that daisy chain configurations between the expanders are supported. Please follow the configuration described on the users guide page 9 figure 4:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-031813.htm Server Products — Intel® RAID Expander Card RES2SV240 Hardware User Guide

0 Kudos