Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Hyper-V makes slow the host server

idata
Employee

hi there,

this is munna. i have a problem and wanna share if any kind of help i will get for Hyper-V. my system is;

intel core2quad Q9400 2.66GHz 6MB L2 cache

intel DG33FB motherboard with build in 2GB LAN card

additional a Realtek fast Ethernet NIC

4 GB RAM

X-Fi Platinum sound card

OS installed Windows Server 2008 R2

lets jump on the problems. until i installed the hyper-v it's super fast server for my experiment and learning. but when i installed the hyper-v after then it comes so slow and nothing run smooth, even can't play a song smoothly so video is so far!! if uninstalled it then it come fast again. i tried 2 more times to installed the hyper-v on 2 different NIC(build in Intel 2GB NIC and the Realtek NIC) but the result is same. if i install another virtual server like vmware or virtual server 2005 r2 or virtual iron or even install the Microsoft virtual machine manager 2008 r2 without hyper-v although my system never comes slow.

where comes the problem and how to fix? any help please ...

note: i did the same thing on my office PC which is build in with Intel P4 with V enable and 2GB RAM and a single build NIC with all drivers are installed included VGA but i didn't face the trouble on there!!!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

If you don't get much reply from the Server community, try the Desktop community over at http://communities.intel.com/community/tech/desktop

idata
Employee

hi Natesan,

thanks for the reply and let me try. i will let you know the result later.but i find another solution; Do not use Windows 7 Aero theme on Windows Server 2008 R2 if installed the Hyper-V . But can be use Windows 7 Basic theme on Windows Server 2008 R2 if installed the Hyper-V. And it will not make any trouble for the performance on Hyper-V installed Host server.

Warning: Do not use Windows 7 Aero theme on Windows Server 2008 R2 if installed the Hyper-V . But can be use Windows 7 Basic theme on Windows Server 2008 R2 if installed the Hyper-V. And it will not make any trouble for the performance on Hyper-V installed Host server.

0 Kudos
KAMALANATH_N_Intel

Interesting..

Where you find this workaround? from MicroSoft?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i have to find my own solution and it's working great and no more trouble on my experimental server at now, there has no more trouble yet and you can test it when you face this trouble and this is the only solution at now;

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverhyperv/thread/7ebfd175-4d12-43b4-8be4-2b4e0eb1e88e

0 Kudos
KAMALANATH_N_Intel

Thanks for sharing the BKM munna.

0 Kudos