Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

INTEL S5000PSL + XEON L5420 = Amber System Light

idata
Employee

Greetings,

I am working on upgrading an oldie but a goodie in my server closet and have run into a bit of a snag.

System:

INTEL S5000PSL motherboard

2 x Xeon L5420 (SLBBR)

550W PSU

1 GB DDR2 ECC (figured I would limit myself to one stick just to remove errors in testing)

BIOS 86

The system works fine with the origional 5050 and an extra 5150 I had lying around but as soon as the 5420 is put into the board it stops working.

Extra info:

During the boot sequence with the older procs (5050 & 5150) there are a set of debugging LEDs on the back of the board that run in various sequences until the boot check is complete and I'm able to get into the BIOS. When plaving the 5420 into the system none of the system check LEDs go off and eventually I'm left with a solid amber system LED. (According to the docs is an unrecoverable fault due to DIMM failure, run-time memory errors, IERR signal asserted, proc 1 missing, temp, power fault, or proc mis-match)

I'm stumped. Got any ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Intel® Xeon® processors 5400 and 5200 series require specific hardware and software revisions on the following Intel® Server Boards and Platforms:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-028540.htm http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-028540.htm

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dan_O,

I saw that article as well. While I get the BIOS part (the article sates BIOS 84 or higher is required and mine is currently at 86), the rest of it means little to me. Does it mean that there are certain manufatured runs of the board that will work and others that will not?

forgot to add where my BIOS was at

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

PBA# is hardware revision. It's printed on a barcode label on your board. If your PBA# is Dxxxxx the it doesn't support Xeon 5400 series processor.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ed,

That appears to be my problem. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos