Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

IPMBand SGPIO

ISupp16
Beginner

Can the IPMB and SGPIO cables be used together? I have an S5520HC motherboard and an RS2BL080 RAID card. I have the IPMB cables on the motherboard going to the backplanes of the hard drive enclosures. The LEDs during hard drive activity flash, but they don't when trying a drive locate. If I hook the IPMB cable to the RAID card insted of the motherboard, the system beeps. I wanted to know if I can safely connect the SGPIO cables from the RAID card to the enclosure backplanes while the IPMB cables were hooked up.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
David_A_Intel

Depending on the type of backplane you may need to install both of the cables. The IPMB cable goes from the backplane to the HSBP_A header on the board. Then depending on the RAID controller you may need to connect the SGPIO or SES cable from the RAID controller to the backplane.

I would suggest following our http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-030394.htm S5500 based pedestal systems backplane and RAID controller cabling guide.

0 Kudos