Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage; and Intel® Xeon® Processors
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

IPMBand SGPIO

ISupp16
Beginner

Can the IPMB and SGPIO cables be used together? I have an S5520HC motherboard and an RS2BL080 RAID card. I have the IPMB cables on the motherboard going to the backplanes of the hard drive enclosures. The LEDs during hard drive activity flash, but they don't when trying a drive locate. If I hook the IPMB cable to the RAID card insted of the motherboard, the system beeps. I wanted to know if I can safely connect the SGPIO cables from the RAID card to the enclosure backplanes while the IPMB cables were hooked up.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
David_A_Intel

Depending on the type of backplane you may need to install both of the cables. The IPMB cable goes from the backplane to the HSBP_A header on the board. Then depending on the RAID controller you may need to connect the SGPIO or SES cable from the RAID controller to the backplane.

I would suggest following our http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-030394.htm S5500 based pedestal systems backplane and RAID controller cabling guide.