Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

IPMI PSU1 and PSU2 reporting failure

JHart7
Beginner

Hi community,

I have the following issue when looking at my IPMI sensors, I noticed that there were a few failure messages.

For the PSU the IPMI reports:

PSU1 Statusreports the power supply's presence has been detected reports a predictive failure has been detected for the power supplyOK0x0005PSU2 Statusreports the power supply's presence has been detected reports a predictive failure has been detected for the power supplyOK0x0005

And the PS:

PS1 Statusreports the power supply's presence has been detectedOK0x0001PS2 Statusreports the power supply's presence has been detectedOK0x0001

After researching online on what this means and how to resolve the issue I was not really confident on what the actual issue is and how I could fix it.

Already restarted the server multiple times, including longer periods where the server was cut off from any power source.

Does anyone have any information that could lead to success or atleast let me know what the actual error means?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Jonas,

In an effort to better assist you, can you please indicate the Intel(R) Server Product you are referring to?

Regards

Jeremiah A.

Intel(R) Technical Support
0 Kudos
JHart7
Beginner

Its a Windows Server 2012 R2.

FRU / Board Information:

Manufacturing Date :2014-09-13 06:04Manufacturer :Intel CorporationProduct Name :S2600CPSerial Number:QSCP43700804Part/Model Number :E99552-511FRU File ID :FRU Ver 1.00

CPU InformationSocket Designation :CPU 1

Manufacturer :

Intel

Version :

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz

Processor Type :

Central Processor

Family :

Intel Xeon

Speed :

2.1 GHz

Number of Cores :

Voltage :

0.9 V

Socket Type :

Other

Populated, Enabled

Serial Number :Asset Tag :Part Number :

CPU InformationSocket Designation :CPU 2

Manufacturer :

Intel

Version :

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz

Processor Type :

Central Processor

<td class="settings_fieldname bold" style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; text-align: right; font-weight: bo...
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jonas,

Thank you for your update.

Let me check into this and get back to you as soon as possible with new information.

We appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jonas,

In spite of predictive failures indicating inconsistencies, follow these recommendations:

• Check for foreign objects inside the chassis, such as screws, that can ground the desktop. Reset the power supplies.
  • Correctly attach the Intel® Server Board to the chassis base with the spacers/stand-offs. Make sure not to tighten the screws too much.
  • Check that the cables connecting the chassis front panel to the Intel® Server Board are plugged in properly to the front panel header.
  • Make sure the drive ribbon cables inside the computer are attached correctly and securely.

If you're using a UPS, make sure that it's compliant. Access https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/server-products/000006100.html Frequently Asked Questions About UPS Support for more details.

If, despite these above recommendations, the situation persists, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html contact support for replacement consideration.

0 Kudos
JHart7
Beginner

Thanks you for answering.

I checked the chassis and all the cables are connected correctly.

Im still not sure what the initial error means though. (reports the power supply's presence has been detected reports a predictive failure has been detected for the power supply)

Does it mean that the power supply was off and that the IPMI found another error when rediscovering the power supply?

And what does "a predictive failure" mean?

Is this a critical error or should I just disable the monitoring?

I am using a UPS, but it worked without any problem for years.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jonas,

I hope you are doing well today.

Predictive Failure is designed to predict potential problems with your systems. PF extends availability by going beyond failure detection to predict problems before they occur.

Does it mean that the power supply was off and that the IPMI found another error when rediscovering the power supply?

This could have been a false power outage.

Is this a critical error or should I just disable the monitoring?

Is not a critical error. Are you still getting the notification?

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
JHart7
Beginner

Hi,

thank you so much for the clarification!

I decided to put the check into the ignore list of my monitoring dashboard, so I get all the other notifications of the IPMI.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jonas,

What was the outcome of the notifications?

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
JHart7
Beginner

What I meant was that my Dashboard Client checks every status in the IPMI and I put the PSU1 and PSU2 on an ingnore list. Now I still monitor every other aspect of the IPMI except the PSU status.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok, thank you for the clarification

Please let me know if there is anything else that we can help you with

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I haven't heard back from you regards to this case.

I will proceed in closing this case. If you need more assistance from us, do not hesitate in contacting us again; more than glad to continue assisting you.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos