Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

IPMI Query not working on newer BMC ?

SDiem
Novice

Hi,

On the new Servers we could not query with IPMI the new BMC.

ipmiutil.exe sel -N <IP or Name of the BMC> -U username -P password

we dont get the following :

ipmiutil sel version 3.13

Connecting to node 10.0.2.63

GetSessChallenge: Invalid data field in request

ipmilan_open_session error, rv = 0xcc

ipmilan Invalid data field in request

ipmi_open error = 204 Invalid data field in request

ipmiutil sel, Invalid data field in request

on "older" Server with older BMC this works great

ipmiutil sel version 3.13

Connecting to node 10.0.2.68

-- BMC version 1.48, IPMI version 2.0

SEL Ver 37 Support 07, Size = 3639 records (Used=607, Free=3032)

RecId Date/Time_______ SEV Src_ Evt_Type___ Sens# Evt_detail - Trig [Evt_data]

0001 12/05/16 10:29:57 INF BMC Event Log #07 Log Cleared 6f [02 ff ff]

Server where IPMI Quersy are working:

RMM Status :Intel(R) RMM installed

Device (BMC) Available :YesBMC FW

Build Time :Nov 26 2017 18:09:58

BIOS ID :SE5C600.86B.02.06.E006.013120181511

BMC FW Rev :01.28.11044

Boot FW Rev :01.17SDR Package Version :SDR Package 1.14

Mgmt Engine (ME) FW Rev :02.01.07.328

Servers where it not works:

Remote Management Module key :Installed

Device (BMC) Available :Yes

BMC Firmware Build Time :Fri Feb 1 03:41:33 2019

BIOS ID :SE5C620.86B.02.01.0008.031920191559

BMC FW Rev :1.93.870cf4f0

Backup BMC FW Rev :1.93.870cf4f0

Build ID :870CF4F0SDR

Package Version :1.93

Mgmt Engine (ME) FW Rev :04.01.04.251

Any help or suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi SDiem,

Thank you for contacting Intel Server Community.  

I was reviewing the details provided and according to your information, the IPMI Tool is not working on the Intel Server Board that uses the BMC Firmware Version 1.93. On the other hand, you have a different Intel Server System that uses the BMC Firmware Version 1.48 and the IPMITool works accordingly. 

Cipher Suite 3 is disabled by default since BMC firmware 1.90 and only keep Cipher Suite 17 opened by default. Due to this, the extra parameter "-C 17" is required for ipmitool to work via LAN.

1. Could you please try the above parameter to make sure of this configuration? 
  2. Also, I was reviewing the outputs provided and I noticed you are using the different versions of the IPMI Tool. On the system that is working you use version 2.0 but on the other system that is not working you use version 3.13. By any chance, have you tried to use version 2.0 in the new implementation just for testing porpuses? 

It will be very important for me to analyze the Sysinfo Logs from both Intel Server Systems to verify some extra details. 

Try to extract the Logs using the Intel System Information Retrieval Utility. Please, check the link below to use the tool for collecting system information: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023940/server-products/server-boards.html

I will be waiting for your response in order to proceed with the next step. 

Have a wonderful day. 

Best regards, 

Emeth O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi SDiem,

Thank you for contacting Intel Server Community.  

I was reviewing the details provided and according to your information, the IPMI Tool is not working on the Intel Server Board that uses the BMC Firmware Version 1.93. On the other hand, you have a different Intel Server System that uses the BMC Firmware Version 1.48 and the IPMITool works accordingly. 

Cipher Suite 3 is disabled by default since BMC firmware 1.90 and only keep Cipher Suite 17 opened by default. Due to this, the extra parameter "-C 17" is required for ipmitool to work via LAN.

1. Could you please try the above parameter to make sure of this configuration? 
  2. Also, I was reviewing the outputs provided and I noticed you are using the different versions of the IPMI Tool. On the system that is working you use version 2.0 but on the other system that is not working you use version 3.13. By any chance, have you tried to use version 2.0 in the new implementation just for testing porpuses? 

It will be very important for me to analyze the Sysinfo Logs from both Intel Server Systems to verify some extra details. 

Try to extract the Logs using the Intel System Information Retrieval Utility. Please, check the link below to use the tool for collecting system information: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023940/server-products/server-boards.html

I will be waiting for your response in order to proceed with the next step. 

Have a wonderful day. 

Best regards, 

Emeth O. 

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hello SDiem, 

I am following up on your case in order to verify if you still need help with this. If so, please do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
SDiem
Novice

Hi Emeth

Thank you very much for the reply. ipmitool and the extra parameter "-C 17" the query works as expected.

Do i missed something in the release notes ? or where is this documented ?

Once again. Thank you, you helped me a lot.

Greetings

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi SDiem,

I found the information on the following link:

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/29106/eng/Release%20Notes%20BMC%202.22.59c3b83a.txt 

Is there anything else I can with you with? If so please let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Best regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos