Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

If Intel® Xeon® Processor Scalable Family support PCIe AtomicOps host-to-device transactions?

MKang7
Beginner

PCIe spec defined 3 types of AtomicOps transactions:

"AtomicOps are architected for device-to-host, device-to-device, and host-to-device transactions."

If Intel® Xeon® Processor Scalable Family support Pcie AtomicOps host-to-device transactions? The background for this question is it looks in previous Xeon generation, only PCIe AtomicOps device-to-host transactions are supported: "The Intel Xeon processor E7 V2 family supports PCIe atomic operations (as a completer)". Not sure if Scalable family extend the support to host-to-device using X86 ISA based instructions?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello,

I was reviewing the information that you are looking for about the support of the Atomic Operations on the Intel® Xeon® Processor Scalable Family.

Let me make sure those details in order to provide you the most accurate information about it and as soon as I have an outcome of this, I will let you know all the information.

Best regards,

Emeth O

0 Kudos
MKang7
Beginner

Thanks for the quick response. Yes. I am looking for details on Scalable Family Processor PCIe atomic operators support, especially on host-to-device transactions support.

Let me know if any answer available.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Thank you so much for been so patience.

I would like to share with you the list of processor families that support AtomicOps:

1. E7 V2

2. E5 2600 v2

3. E7 8800/4800 V3

Therefore Scalable Family does not.

If you have any other question let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Best regards,

Emeth O

0 Kudos
MKang7
Beginner

Hi Emeth,

Thanks for your response.

Previously I just want to check if Intel® Xeon® Processor Scalable Family support PCIe AtomicOps host-to-device transactions or not. My assumption is Xeon scalable family have supported PCIe AtomicOps device-to-host transactions already.

Now I am a little confused about your answer. Could please double check and confirm that Intel® Xeon® Processor Scalable Family did not support any PCIe AtomicOps transactions, even for device-to-host (RC as completer) transactions?

Thanks

Minfeng

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I would like to inform you that according to the information provided, the Intel® Xeon® Processor Scalable Family does not support the AtomicOps. Only the following processors:

1. E7 V2

2. E5 2600 v2

3. E7 8800/4800 V3

Best regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
MKang7
Beginner

Thanks. Just one more question:

However, In https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/xeon-e5-v4-datasheet-vol-2.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/xeon-e5-v4-datasheet-vol-2.pdf Page 132, register description about devcap2 (PCI Express Device Capabilities 2 Register)

The default value from atomic128bcascompsup, atomic64bcompsup, atomic32bcompsup (bit 9, 8 , 7) is "1" - According to PCIe spec, that means RC completer AtomicOps should be supported.

If that means E5 V4 also support PCIe RC completer AtomicOps?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello kmf,

I completely understood your point; however, the information provided is coming from the engineer the department. So, according to them the only processors that support the AtomicOps are the processors mentioned before.

Best regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
MKang7
Beginner

Thanks for the support. No further question now.

0 Kudos