Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Install issue with Gig ET quad-port & Server Core

idata
Employee

I have a 2008 Server Core system I'm trying to install a new Gigabit ET Quad Port Server Adapter on. I've tried installing it by simply running the PROWinx64.exe from Intel's site, using the setup files from the CD that came with the card, and manually extracting the drivers and using pnputil to install them (and yes, between each attempt I'm running the uninstall, removing all the Intel NIC drivers from the system, and rebooting). Regardless of the method chosen however, I end up with 1 or possibly 2 of the interfaces ok in Device Manager and the other 2 (or 3) reporting that Windows couldn't load the driver ("Code 31"). It's odd combinations as well - not simply 1 & 2 are ok (ie, possibly a bad chipset for 3 & 4) - if more than one interface shows up OK it will be something like 1 & 4 will show up ok while the others have the yellow triangle. It's different ones on each re-install too, which serves to confuse me even further.

Intel's prosetcl adapter_enumerate gives me an accurate list of the 8 ports on the server (4x integraded Broadcom, working fine, and 4x from this Intel card), while _enumerateproperties on one of the malfunctioning ports shows something such as:

1) Intel(R) Gigabit ET Quad Port Server Adapter # 2 Supported Properties: Adapter GUID - {12483627-0557-46C5-A42D-1AE4A2274702} Adapter Status - Disabled Availability - Unknown Bus Type - Unknown Controller ID - Unknown Duplex - Unknown EEPROM Version - Hardware Address - Hardware Status - Unknown Link Speed - Unknown Max Link Speed - 1000 Mbps Support Media Type - Unknown Modified Name - Intel(R) Gigabit ET Quad Port Server Adapter # 2 Name - Intel(R) Gigabit ET Quad Port Server Adapter # 2 Negotiated Lane Width - Part Number - Port Number - PCI Device ID - VEN_8086&DEV_10e8&SUBSYS_8086a02c&REV_01&25&0 Slot ID - 34 Status - Status Info - Unknown WMI Path - \\[redacted]\ROOT\IntelNCS2:IANet_PhysicalEthernetAdapter.CreationClassName="IANet_PhysicalEthernetAdapter",DeviceID="{12483627-0557-46C5-A42D-1AE4A2274702}",SystemCreationClassName="Win32_ComputerSystem",SystemName="[redacted]"

This is a brand-new Dell R715 server with a fresh OS install. I've tried two of these NICs, both brand new, both with the same results. I'm pretty sure this is an issue of PEBKAC, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get these drivers installed properly! Does anyone have any experience with this NIC/OS combo?

- Chris

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Chris,

DId you ever get this resolved? How did you get all the ports working?

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey Mark,

I took this up with DELL's support and the only thing they could come up with was that this NIC wasn't compatible with Server Core. I'm not sure I buy that, but I don't have any better options to offer. So no, I never got it resolved and will be replacing for another card at some point in the future.

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Maybe Dell's support knows something about using the adapter with that server and a core only installation, but as a general rule, these adapters will work on core installs.

If you would like to give this another try, I would suggest using the command line install utility, DxSetup.exe, described at http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-016040.htm http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-016040.htm. You should extract the files from the web download instead of executing the download. You can extract the files with WinZip, WinRAR, or from the command line as described in the download read me. DXSetup.exe will be in the .\APPS\PROSETDX\ folder.

Another handy utility for core installs is the command line version of Intel PROSet, You can use prosetcl to configure the adapter settings, vlans, and teams. PROSetcl.exe is described at http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-029966.htm http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-029966.htm.

You should probably download the latest versions of the drivers and software before trying any of the above.

If you do give this another try, be sure to post back whether or not any of this stuff helped.

Mark H

0 Kudos