Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage; and Intel® Xeon® Processors
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4302 Discussions

Installing 2008 r2 on s5500hcv

DLegg
Beginner

Hi all,

I am having an issue installing 2008/r2 on a s5500hcv server using a gpt drive.

I have updated the mainboard firmware to 64, and the raid card as well (rs2bl040).

I have seperated the VD's two one 6tb, and one 2tb. The 2tb is for the backup staging, so i cannot use that

I have a uefi boot USB, which allows the install to load, i can select the OS, and choose the disk, it creates the partitions and then click on next, and it sits at Copying Windows files (0%) for as long as you want to leave it, It wont progress past 0%.

I have tried all different bios settings, and other suggestions that i have seen whilst researching the issue, all of which come to a grinding halt.

Can anyone suggest a way to get it to work

thanks

Dan

0 Kudos
3 Replies
David_A_Intel

I would recommend following our http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-031158 GPT White Paper. You may want to check the section for Plan B as you already have your RAID configuration created.

You mentioned that the installation hangs at 0% Copying Files. Have you tried to use different media? You may want to try the installation with a non-EFI configuration to compare results.

DLegg
Beginner

I have tried using the White paper, and no result, still stops at copying windows files.

I have been able to install using non gpt/uefi setup, but i need the storage on the drive as it will be used as a hyper-v host/ backup dc.

I have partitioned the drive to be 800gb primary (os) drive and 5tb storage if it helps.

Another thing I noticed, whenever I click to start the copy, the mouse locks up. Not sure if it's relevant or not.

As for installation media, I have tried both 2008 & 2008 r2, on both own cd, and USB, I have also tried via mdt, but no luck so far

DLegg
Beginner

In addition to this, i have just tried to use Hyper-V Server 2012, and it has the same result. Im going to try a different RAID card next. I'll post up how it goes.