Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Intel 82574L locking up

idata
Employee

Has anyone else experienced this problem with the "Intel 82574L" onboard network interface on Supermicro X9SCM-F-B?

Basically what's happening is that the network interface will lock up. The machine stops responding, when logging in through the dedicated IPMI or console the network interface shows 99% usage in task manager but does not have a connection to the internet. It doesn't show a red disconnect X it just say's no internet access. If we try to run diagnostics it fails. If we try to disable the network interface it takes a long time, sometimes it disables, sometimes it doesn't. The only way we have found to fix this problem is by power cycling the machine. If we try to restart the machine properly it just hangs at shutting down. However the next day or some other random time the network interface will lock up again.

We recently deployed 11 of these machines with identical specs, 9 of them have Windows Web Server 2008 R2 64-bit and 2 of them have CentOS 6x 64-bit. We've primarily seen this problem occurring on 2-3 specific machines with Windows but it has happened on several other machines less often as well. It has occurred on one of the CentOS machines 2-3 times but not recently. The machines all had Bios 1.0c when deployed but we have since updated to 1.1a which made no difference.

Machine specs:

Supermicro X9SCM-F-B Server Motherboard

Intel Xeon Quad-Core E3-1230 3.2GHz 5GT/s 1155pin 8MB CPU

Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G DDR3-1333 8GB (2x4GB) ECC CL9 Memory Kit

2 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB SATA3 7200rpm 32MB Hard Drive

BIOS Revision: 1.1a

Intel PROSet Version: 16.6.126.0

Driver Version: 11.11.43.0

Latest INF Drivers installed

All Windows Updates installed

We originally had a Dell Powerconnect 6248 switch but it was quite old so we replaced it with a brand new Dell Powerconnect 5548 switch with latest firmware. The problem occurred with both switches so we don't think it's that unless it has something to do with auto-negotiating or the power saving features.

Things we are trying now:

- Switched one system to use the secondary nic "Intel 82574LM", so far hasn't locked up in 3 days (good sign).

- Rolled back to the Microsoft default drivers, will have to wait and see what happens.

- Disabled Flow Control and EEE (Energy Savings) on the switch.

Is there any way to run a debug or setup network interface logging to find out whats causing this to happen?

Thanks for reading.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

I have the same problem with Intel 82574L on a SuperMicro server. I have the latest driver version 11.17.27.0.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I also am having the exact same issue with an X9SCM-F-0. The server was just recently built & everything worked fine for about 4 days after & then all the sudden it started. At first, the 82574L NIC just kept disconnecting & reconnecting over & over & I wasn't even able to connect via IPMI. Eventually I had to power cycle the server. Ever since I've been getting random issues where filesharing just stops on the server as well as the NIC randomly disconnected (not at the same time though). I can connect to shares on the server via \\localhost but I cannot connect to them remotely until the server is power cycled.

I just removed the newest Intel drivers (I think they are from June 2012) & installed the default MS drivers from 2009. After this, I'm going to exclusively use the 82574LM driver if the MS drivers do not work. I don't really want to do that though since the LM NIC is bound to a virtual machine in Hyper-V.

Have either of you guys found any workarounds yet?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The only solution for me was to use the 82574LM unfortunately.

0 Kudos
hkatz1
Beginner

Folks,

Sorry to flog a dead horse but I am having an issue with a supermicro server of the same vintage (2013) but my problem is simply that I am unable to set either LAN1 or LAN2 to use gigabit speed (100Mb is fine) or set the MTU to 9000 without any network transfers choking.

Specs:

MOBO: X8DT6-F

CPU: Intel Xeon E5645@2.4GhZ

Memory: Kingston 9965516-070.A00LF

BIOS: 2.0c

Intel Chipset: 82574L

O/S: Centos 6.7

Driver: 1.5.1-NAPI Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver (ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/CDR-X8_1.22_for_Intel_X8_platform/Intel/LAN/v16.5/PRO1000/LINUX/ ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/CDR-X8_1.22_for_Intel_X8_platform/Intel/LAN/v16.5/PRO1000/LINUX/)

I have also download the latest and greatest from Intel (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/15817/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-PCI-E-Gigabit-Network-Connections-under-Linux- Intel® Download Center) and had no difference using:

modinfo e1000e

filename: /lib/modules/2.6.32-504.30.3.el6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/net/e1000e/e1000e.ko

version: 3.2.4.2-NAPI

license: GPL

description: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver

I have other Supermicro FatTwin but these are Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection and are doing just fine at 1 Gb.

Any solutions to getting 1000Mb to work using existing hardware?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

The support we offer on this forum is exclusive for Intel Server Systems& Boards reason why we recommend contacting the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) directly in this case Supermicro* for further assistance on your inquiries.

0 Kudos
hkatz1
Beginner

Hi Dan,

Supermicro support swears that there is nothing wrong with their hardware and that the issue lies entirely with the Intel 82574L chipset or the O/S.

Thanks,

Henry

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Sorry to hear that but your request is out of the scope of support for Intel. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

0 Kudos