Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Intel MFSYS25 question

idata
Employee

I am trying to connect the module blade server to another server to do backups. I have an IBM x3250 M3 with a High Rely for backup. The problem is the switch that I have is a Nortel 4550 and 4526. They are both 10/100 switches and I would like to know if it is possible to connect directly into the MFSYS25 multiple NIC card? Sorry if I don't have all the details as this is the first blade I have worked with.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

Yes

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Do I need to add that port to the LAG that is already connected?

Do I need to create a new VLAN and put that port on it?

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

By default, all compute modules pass all traffic to the ESM. Traffic is forwarded based on the destination MAC address, and broadcasts are seen by all other Compute Modules.

So you can plug anything into the switch in the back, and the compute modules are already plugged into that same switch.

You can do VLAN configuration, there are some examples at http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-031599.htm http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-031599.htm , but you probably won't need to.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your help.

I am trying to install a new server to do the backup for the entire Module server and would like to avoid going to the current switches as they are 10/100. I am hoping by pluging direct to the switch on the back of the Module I can utilize 1Gb transfer speeds.

If you have any other advice feel free to give me any hints in the config area.

Thanks Again!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

When I tried to connect the new server directly into switch on the back I could not connect to any of the servers running on it. I even tried adding that port to the LAG but it just stayed greyed out.

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

The modular servers are all automatically plugged into the back switch. Have you set up any VLANs, or is everything on default VLAN 1, still?

As soon as you plug something in to the switch, you should be connected to all the other devices using that switch; modular servers included.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes there is a VLAN 10

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

And here is a pic of the port config

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

If I'm reading this right, you've prevented Servers 1, 3, and 4 from talking to anything outside. Is this on purpose, putting them on VLAN 10, but not allowing any external switch port to also participate in VLAN 10?

0 Kudos