Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

Intel Modular Server, adding new virtual drive and increasing drive size

MBall4
Beginner

My apologies if I'm posting in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure if there was a better place for this.

I am the IT guy for a small rural hospital. Our Electronic Medical Record System (EMR) is housed on three servers in an Intel Modular Server Chassis. This system was set up before I got here, and I have had no prior experience with the Modular Server (MFSYS25). There are two issues I'm having trouble with, and was hoping I could get some help from the experts.

1. The C: drive on a couple of servers is starting get a little cramped. I tried expanding the size of the drive from the console, but this change does not appear in the OS (MS Server 2008). The drive size is the same as it was.

2. I took some of the unallocated storage from one of the two storage pools to create a new virtual drive and assigned it to one of the servers. However, the new drive does not show up in the OS.

I'm sure the the issues are related, but I'm not sure what I'm missing. I rebooted the server. I also shut down the server, unassigned and then reassigned the drive and brought the server back up. In both cases, I still didn't get the desired results. Could somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

The first thing I would check is your firmware level. There are three distinct firmware stacks; 6.x, 10.x, and 11.x. Whichever you are running, update to the latest that is in your same stack level.

After expanding the drive, if you go into Windows Disk Management, what does it show the physical size as?

If you have dual SCMs, you can update the MPIO driver as well.

0 Kudos