Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4775 Discussions

Intel Modular Server shows all drives twice

idata
Employee

Hi there

Just installed our first IMS, and activated the shared LUN add-on. I've created some 40GB partitions for the OS and the remainig 1.6TB I want shared between all servers.

When I look in disk manager though, it shows 2 40GB drives and 2 1.6TB drives. If I look at the properties of the disks they are all called "Intel Multi-Flux SCSI drive" but they have the same name Bus Number and Target ID, but two LUNs, ie.e

Bus Number 0, Taget ID 10, LUN 0

Bus Number 0, Taget ID 10, LUN 1

Not sure why that is happening, but it also shows the doubled drives during the build of the OS when you chose where to install to.

Any ideas what I've done wrong?

Cheers

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Richard_A_Intel1
Employee

HI

Do you have 2 x Storage Controllers installed? This is most likely the case. You are probably seeing 2 of each LUNs because there are 2 paths to each LUN. You need to install the Operating System MPIO drivers to mask out the 2nd path.

The MPIO drivers can be found on support.intel.com and then search for the compute module MFS5000SI and look under drivers.

thanks

Rich

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I do Richard, thanks for that. as I say, first IMS, so these kind of issues are new to me.

Thanks very much for that quick reply!

0 Kudos
JLodh
New Contributor II

Hi,

As pointed out by Richard, here is the link to download MPIO driver:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&Inst=Yes&ProductID=2860&DwnldID=17588&strOSs=All&OSFullName=All%20Operating%20Systems&lang=eng MPIO Driver for SuSE*

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&Inst=Yes&ProductID=2860&DwnldID=16133&strOSs=All&OSFullName=All%20Operating%20Systems&lang=eng MPIO Driver for Windows

If you encounter any problems, feel free to write to us.

Thank you, have a nice day!

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

Intel Go Green, Save The Environment!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks - but the "Special instructions" pdf for 2008 server is wrong - it is set up for BIOS 2.7, but we are on 3.x now and the set up is a little different.

Any chance of those Special Instructions being updated?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Richard_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi

The setup instrcutions are the same for 3.0 as they are for 2.7.

Are you running SBS 2008 or just 2008? If the former, there is a required workaround to install the MPIO driver.

0 Kudos