Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4775 Discussions

Intel R1208WFTYS server fans run 11-12000rmp always

SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Hello!

We first time bought a barebone R1208WFTYS with S2600WFT board.

Everything works fine and ASC shows that all is OK, but all SYSTEM FANS run always 11-12 000 rpm but status is normal. Customer is not satisfied with that, as all other brands servers are queit! All FWs are updated to the latests versions.

Any solution to this issue or it is normal?

Regards,

Sergei.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Hello Sergei, Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support. What version of BIOS do you have currently? Thank you, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Hello Franklin!

Thank you for quick reply!

We used the latest available for this board:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28316/Intel-Server-Board-S2600WF-Family-BIOS-and-Firmware-Update-Package-for-UEFI?product=89015

BIOS -  00.01.0015

ME Firmware - 04.00.04.340

BMC Firmware - 1.74.ee39402a

FRUSDR      - 1.74

Sergei

0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Sergei, Would it be possible for you to download Intel's System Information Retrieval Utility from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28282/System-Information-Retrieval-Utility-SysInfo-for-Intel-Server-Boards-and-Intel-Server-Systems-Based-on-Intel-62X-Chipset ? There is a link to a user guide in that page, basically you need to follow section 3.1 on how to retrieve information from UEFI, pretty much you need to run the utility from a bootable USB drive and then run system.efi once you are in UEFI console but the guide will give you better detail. That will generate some log files that then we need you to share with us for analysis. Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Hello Franklin!

Please find logfiles attached.

Regards,

Sergei

0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Sergei, Thank you very much for sharing the logs. We will go ahead and follow up with you as soon as possible. Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Hello Franklin,

Any update? Our customer already pushing us for solution.

Regards,

Sergei

0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Sergei, Sorry about the delay. We found that you are running BIOS version 000.01.0015 and there is a newer version 000.01.0016. You can get it from here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28555/Intel-Server-Board-S2600WF-Family-BIOS-and-Firmware-Update-Package-for-UEFI?product=89015 Please try to use the EFI boot method to update your BIOS and run the complete package. This should help you with your issue. Please let us know how it goes after completed. Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Hello Franklin!

As you can mark this ticket was published on 7th of February and new BIOS release 19 of February. So we couldn't use this BIOS before.

But there is an issue with this BIOS.

Customer updated it, but the BIOS version stayed the same....15 not 16. All othe numbers changed to correct ones. But still problem is the same.

Please find screenshots attached, like what was realeased and what is the result.

Sergei

0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Sergei, That is correct. This would be a very recent release. Did you use the EFI method to make the upgrade? It is necessary to let the installer upgrade all components instead of choosing just some of them in the process. Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

EFI method used and all components were updated. The result was the following as I sent to you. All updated, but BIOS left number left the same.

Sergei

0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Sergei, Could you follow the *** Advisory Note *** section in the Read me and Update Instructions file where it indicates to boot and run some files individually? When you tried upgrading last time, did the server stay on a black screen for a few minutes and if so, did you restart it manually? Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Franklin,

I will ask customer to update the BIOS again separately. It might be that some component were not updated to the version needed, so the second run is needed probably.

Will inform you about results.

Sergei

0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Hello Sergei, Let us know how it goes after running individual updates. Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Hello Franklin!

Customer downloaded directly S2600WF board BIOS and this time it was able to update to 16 version.

But the problem is still the same. Rpm is even 13000, maybe because it is in a rack now, but air temp is 22C, so no overheating.

Suctomer asks what is the normal speed of fan for this barebone? 5,7, 12000rpm?

Customer is quite annoyed with this server already :(

Sergei

0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Hello Sergei, Could you please follow the following guide (except for the parts where you should upgrade BIOS to the latest version): www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005890/server-products/intel-compute-modules.html Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Hello Sergei, What is the current status of the server, where you able to follow the last troubleshooting guide that I sent to you? Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Hello Franklin,

Customer will try re-apply FRU SDR with FAN reconfiguration.

Then he will give a feedback.

Still no additional information.

Sergei

0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Sergei, Thank you. Let me know when you have new infromation. Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Hi Sergei, Have you heard any news from your customer? Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BYung
Beginner

Hello Franklin and Sergei,

How are you? Hoping you are doing well. I have R1208WFTYS system has same issue for my clients. Intel Case #: 04096693T.

This is a new system so i install BIOS form 0013 version, it is working fine, but after i upgrade to version 0014 the issue happen. I continue to upgrade to 0015 and 0016. The issue is still there.

We sold two system one is R1208WFTYS and one is R2224WFTZS, got same issue (BIOS 0014) last year. No solution for that time, we can only use BIOS version 0013 install for clients. Two month ago, Intel release BIOS 0015 so we upgrade to 0015 and then the issue happen again.

BTW, attach sysinfo_log for your reference.

Thank yo very much if you have any recommend or solution for FAN over speed (11000 RPM always).

Sincerely,

Brian Yung

0 Kudos