Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Intel S1200BTL failing to pass POST

CPede2
Beginner

Hi all,

I couldn't find a server board section so I hope this one is the right one for my post.

I have a Intel Server Board S1200BTL paired with a Xeon E3-1230 which has been running fluently for 2,5 years (roughly). For unknown reasons, the place the server is hosted at had a power outage and obviously this caused the server to go off. The problem is now, after the power has been restored, the server does not come back up. I'm about 800km from the server so it's a little hard to do anything physical wise (although I have a friend which can help in that case). When I look through the RMM console, I see a black screen with:

Copyright (c) 2009 - 2010 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Version 2.00.1201. Copyright (C) American Megatrends, Inc.

Tried rebooting it several times but doesn't seem that it even gets to start the POST. Server was working perfectly fine before the power outage so I'm thinking that it might be the board. Have anyone come across this? Could it be a FW issue or something?

I hope for some suggestions.

Thanks,

- Chris

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Chris, I will move this thread to the server's community in order to get assistance on your Server Board.

Regards,

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel

We should be able to take advantage of the information reported by the http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/intel_rmm4_bmc_ews_userguide_r2_8.pdf RMM4. I would probably check the information reported under Server Diagnostics > POST codes to see how far is the unit reaching in the POST sequence. Also, we can review the information provided in Server Health > Sensor Readings | Event Log.

If this is a lines-down situation, I would recommend contacting http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Intel Customer Support to expedite the resolution of your case.

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

In the RMM screen, Check the SEL log of errors as well as the SDR voltage sensors screen for errors.

The first splash screen occurs right after power up and before memory test.

When looking in the SEL log, check for memory errors or DIMMS offline.

(Don't kill your self looking for the POST sequence. POST codes did not start getting logged until the next generation mother boards)

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

As a Last resort, you could try IPMITOOL (common in Linux, harder to find for windows) (modify to your IP, user name and password)

ipmitool -H192.168.1.24 -Uadmin -Ppassword raw 0x0 0x8 0x5 0x80 0x98 0x0 0x0 0x0

This will force a CMOS clear and boot to BIOS set-up on next reset.

• Send command
  • Reset system power in RMM web gui
  • Cross fingers
0 Kudos
CPede2
Beginner

Hi all,

Thank you Sylvia for moving the thread!

All Sensors report "OK"/Green

I just tried to power up the server, getting following events:

278411/25/2014 21:24:30BIOS Evt SensorSystem Eventreports Timestamp Clock Sync. Event is one of two expected events from BIOS on every power on. - Asserted278311/25/2014 21:24:29BIOS Evt SensorSystem Eventreports Timestamp Clock Sync. Event is one of two expected events from BIOS on every power on. - Asserted278211/25/2014 21:24:22SMI TimeOutOEM Reservedreports it has been asserted - Deasserted278111/25/2014 21:24:22SMI TimeOutOEM Reservedreports it has been asserted - Asserted278011/25/2014 21:22:46BIOS Evt SensorSystem Eventreports Timestamp Clock Sync. Event is one of two expected events from BIOS on every power on. - Asserted277911/25/2014 21:22:46BIOS Evt SensorSystem Eventreports Timestamp Clock Sync. Event is one of two expected events from BIOS on every power on. - Asserted277811/25/2014 21:22:32Pwr Unit StatusPower Unitreports the power unit is powered off or being powered down - Deasserted

I will try the IPMI command and report back.

0 Kudos
CPede2
Beginner

Hi again,

I am not able to run this command, I should also maybe note that I'm sitting 800km from the server so local interaction is very limited. Is there any parameters I need to put into ipmitool to make it work over WAN? It doesn't seem like it's forwarding the traffic (I'm trying this from an ubuntu vm at my place).

Thanks!

0 Kudos