Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Intel S2600ST bios required previous version chain missing 00.01.0009 and 00.01.0004

RainmakerNetworks

I have an Intel S2600ST that is on a very old BIOS - 00.01.2001, which is an early release of 00.01.0004. I want to get this board current; I have to stairstep. But Intel in its wisdom doesn't still have all of the steps available for download.

I have everything i need except 00.01.0009. File name should be 
S2600ST_EFI_BIOSR0009_ME04.00.04.288.0_BMC1.29.7d703f59_FRUSDR_1.24

Intel: if you are listening, the file 00.01.0004 should be available also - I managed to find that one elsewhere however for my particular case.

If anyone has it or can point me to it that would be wonderful.

Current bios page: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30186/Intel-Server-Board-S2600ST-Family-BIOS-and-Firmware-Update-Package-for-UEFI

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JoseH_Intel

Hello RainmakerNetworks,

Thank you for joining the Intel community

Some older BIOS versions has been removed because of possible vulnerabilities. Since you just need it for stepping let check if there is any chance to get this older BIOS v00.01.0009 image

I'll get back to you as soon as I have updates

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit:

https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos
RainmakerNetworks
0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello RainmakerNetworks,

I was able to get the requested firmware images. I just sent you a private email with the files.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
RainmakerNetworks

Jose-
Thank you for chasing that down; as it happened, your Intel brothers in warranty dept sent me another board because support told them that i needed one.

I do have suggestions, as I spent several hours chasing this down:
1) The website for this board needs to mention that the missing firmware pieces are in fact available but are not posted publically due to security concerns. Then there needs to be a reaonsbale process for a fellow to obtain them.
2) Intel's replacement board came with a firmware 02.01.1009 which isnt supposed to exist either. There need sto be a note on eth website stating that if you get a board lkike thtis,. what to do get flash the bios.
3) As to the actual flash process itself - I have been doing commercial IT work for 35 years - which means that i have been doing this since WAY before it was cool. Back when we had the ARPANET, not the Internet. I can say that this flash process for this board, totally independent of the very poor version control that Intel has, is the most convoluted, poorly documented, error-prone flash process in the History of the World.  It is TERRIBLE. Somebody need to go throughthe intel website and remove the 15 different WRONG processes for flashing and replace it with ONE process that a) actually works, b) is accurate, and c) has all of the pieces in one freaking download, and d) doesnt require a fellow to move files around and rename them just to get it to fooking run. 

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello RainmakerNetworks,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I will pass it over to the team in charge so they can take it into consideration. The website underwent several changes after the vulnerabilities came out to light and the priority has been to prevent security breaches and probably that is one of the reasons why the processes are not as friendly as most of us would like.

Been said that I wanted to ask if your issue is resolved now in order to mark this thread as closed. I will look forward for your reply.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
RainmakerNetworks

We are all good now - thank you.

I understand the security concern over the old versions. What is needed is for the redacted version to still be listed in the navigation pane entry on the left side of the site, where a person would expect to find them, then the page should simply explain why they arent there, and what steps to take to get them anyway iof they are really needed like in our case.

Also - there should really be a note about how to interpret the factory bios version numbers that dont show up in the list at all.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello RainmakerNetworks,

I am glad to hear about your issue is fixed now. I already elevated your feedback to the department in charge, hopefully we will see some improvement in the website in the middle term. I will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and submit a new topic.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos