Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Intel S2600cw2r not detecting GTX 1080Ti

WAndr1
Beginner

So I'm building a deep learning machine with 1 Xeon e5-2620v4 and 2 gtx 1080ti on top of an Intel S2600CW2R server board..

I bought it at a local store, and ask them to assemble my system. When it arrived, the system won't even POST or giving me any output on the display, just blank(tried to plug the cable to the GPU card and the onboard connector, results are the same). After doing some research, I found that the local store misplaced the GPU on the wrong PCIe slot. I fix this, get the system POST, and the display works(plugged the display cable to the onboard display connector) and install ubuntu 16.04 server.

After that, I tried to "lspci | grep NVIDIA" and the output gave me nothing. So I thought it must be the drivers that need to be installed. I installed the "nvidia-381" package from "ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa", reboot the system, tried to "lspci | grep NVIDIA" again, still nothing. Then I tried " nvidia-smi" but the output says ""NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running"

So I jump into conclusion that somehow, the motherboard cannot detect any of the plugged GPU card. How can I resolve this issue ? Have anybody encountered the same issue ? If it's a hardware failure, i just want to be sure..

Note:

• I Tried to plug the display cable into one of the GPU card, blank screen.
  • Already checked the BIOS setup, "Add-in Display" option greyed out.
  • Tried the GPU on another system, work like a charm
  • Tried to boot from legacy mode and UEFI mode, results nothing.
  • Tried to update the BIOS firmware, still no results.
  • I'm aware of the trickiness on how the PCIe lane works on this particular platform(LGA2011). The datasheet mentioned that the PCI/e slot 1 - 2 are linked to CPU2 socket, and PCI/e slot 3-6 are bound to CPU1 socket. Therefore, if I want to plug my GPU1 on PCIe slot 1 and GPU2 on PCIe slot 4, I must have 2 CPUs installed
  • Not just the GTX 1080Ti, I've also tried to plug an Nvidia Tesla P4, and the board not detect it either.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello,

In regards to your problem, please take in consideration that both CPU power connectors need to be connected in order for all the PCIe slots to work even only one CPU is installed.

You can find more detailed information on the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/S2600CW_TPS_R2_2.pdf technical product specification page 34.

Also check the following information:

1. Check if the video card connected is listed in the tested https://serverconfigurator.intel.com/exalt/MyPartsServlet?iMethodID=4&dataset=IntelTHOL&basefilters=column1_IN_S2600CW2R_AND_column3_IN_None&bypass=y&_ga=1.74919186.180222823.1464847721 hardware .

2. Check if the Add-in video adapter is installed in the correct PCI Express slot, please find the below mentioned details for the PCI Express Support:

From PCH:

- Slot 1: PCIe Gen II x4

From the first processor:

- Slot 5: PCIe Gen III x16/x8 electrical with x16 physical connector. Electrical x16 for

S2600CW2R or S2600CWTR, electrical x8 for S2600CW2SR or S2600CWTSR

- Slot 6 PCIe Gen III x16 electrical with x16 physical connector

From the second processor:

- Slot 2: PCIe Gen III x16 electrical with x16 physical connector

- Slot 3: PCIe Gen III x8 electrical with x8 physical connector

- Slot 4: PCIe Gen III x16 electrical with x16 physical connector

. When Onboard Video is Disabled, and Add-in Video Adapter is Enabled, then only the

Add-in video adapter would be active. Please make the below mentioned changes to the BIOS setup when an Add-in video adapter card is installed:

When there is one add-in video card connected to CPU Socket 1...

Case 1: Onboard video active display, add-in video doesn't display.

Onboard Video = Enabled

Legacy VGA Socket = CPU Socket 1 (grayout, can't change)

Add-in Video Adapter = Disabled

Case 2: Add-in video active display, onboard video doesn't display.

Onboard Video = Disabled

Add-in Video Adapter = Enabled

Intel® Server Board S2600CW Functional Architecture Intel® Server Board S2600CW Family TPS

48 Revision 2.1

Case 3: Both onboard video and add-in video are active displays. But only onboard could be the active display during BIOS POST (Dual Monitor).

Onboard Video = Enabled

When there is one add-in video card connected to CPU Socket 2...

Case 4: Onboard video active display, add-in doesn't display.

Onboard Video = Enabled

Legacy VGA Socket = CPU Socket 1

Add-in Video Adapter = Disabled (grayout, can't change)

Case 5: Add-in video active display, onboard video doesn't display.

Onboard Video = Disabled (grayout, can't change)

Legacy VGA Socket = CPU Socket 2

Add-in Video Adapter = Enabled (grayout, can't change)

When there are add-in video cards connected to both CPU Socket 1 & 2...

Case 6: Onboard video active display, add-in video on Socket 1 and Add-in video on

Socket 2 don't actively display.

Onboard Video = Enabled

Add-in Video Adapter = Disabled

Case 7: Add-in video on Socket 1 active display, onboard video and Add-in video on

Socket 2 don't actively display.

Onboard Video = Disabled

Case 8: Both onboard video active and CPU Socket 1 add-in video active display. But

only onboard could actively display during BIOS POST.

Onboard Video = Enabled

Case 9: Only CPU Socket 2 add-in video active display, neither onboard video nor

CPU Socket 1 add-in video display.

Onboard Video = Disabled (grayout, can't change)

Legacy VGA Socket = CPU Socket 2

Add-in Video Adapter = Enabled (grayout, can't change)

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Wemphi ,

We are following up your case and we would like to know if you need further assistance.

Regards.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Wemphi ,

We are following up your case and we would like to know if you need further assistance.

We are going to proceed a close this case; however, in case you have more question just reply us back and this will re-open your ticket.

Regards.

Sergio S.
0 Kudos