Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Intel S3200SH IPMI BMC LAN Access Problem

idata
Employee

Hi,

The problem is the same as in this thread:

I'm posting another discussion as that discussion is already 4 years old.

I encountered the same problem just recently with my Intel Server SR1530HS with the board above. Basically, I'm trying to use the IPMI interface as a fencing device for a 2-node CentOS cluster. I already followed Edward's recommendation to update the BIOS and firmwares to the latest available version. Did that earlier today yet still no luck on BMC LAN access.

Francis

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi All,

I'm answering my own post here but I found out the solution myself.

Turns out, enabling BMC lan on an S3200SH board requires that you connect the LAN port with the two USB ports to the network as this is the assigned port for BMC lan access. That' all.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi All,

I'm answering my own post here but I found out the solution myself.

Turns out, enabling BMC lan on an S3200SH board requires that you connect the LAN port with the two USB ports to the network as this is the assigned port for BMC lan access. That' all.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Yes you're correct. For more information on server management, refer to the http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-030462.htm Server management guide for Intel� Server Boards and Intel� Server Platforms

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Edward,

Is the solution I found documented in the docs for this board? I've rummaged through a lot trying to understand ad seek answers to this problem and found none in the intel docs telling me to use the port with the 2 USBs if you will need to access the BMC over lan.

Francis

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Yes that's documented in section 2.3.1, as well as table 7:

... only NIC 1 is able to handle BMC server management traffic.

And NIC1 is the NIC right above the USB ports:

0 Kudos