Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4776 Discussions

Intel S5000XVN - 0xE4h Error

idata
Employee

Hi all,

I have been using a workstation with the above board for many years, never had an issue until this morning. Powered on from cold boot and the system fails to start. After looking at the codes, I am getting the 0xE4h error - meaning that something is failing at the Entered EFI Driver execution phase (DXE). No video is displayed, and the system seems to soft power cycle itself every 20 seconds after hitting the 0xE4h (little click noise, no change in fan speeds or anything).

I see that others have resolved this issue by changing jumpers on J1C3 to load the backup bios/ clear settings etc, but issue persists. I have also taken all the memory out, and I get 3 post beeps. I have checked each memory stick individually (KVR667D2D4F5/2GI) - but the issue persists.

Is there a way to recover the system, change some jumpers to force a new bios load or something from USB or something at all which I could do?

If you could let me know of any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Did you try to clear CMOS using the CMOS clear jumper J1D1? Here is the procedure:

1. Power down server. Do not unplug the power cord.2. Open the server chassis. For instructions, see your server chassis documentation.3. Move jumper from the default operating position, covering pins 1 and 2, to the reset/clear position, covering pins 2 and 3.4. Remove AC power.5. Wait five seconds.6. Move the jumper back to default position, covering pins 1 and 2.7. Close the server chassis.8. Apply AC power.9. Power up the server.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

I performed the steps exactly as requested, and the system still exhibits the same issue.

Any other suggestions?

Alex

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Try to boot the system with minimal configuration, means 1 CPU, 1 DIMM, video care and PSU only. Then you may need to swap thos components one my one to identify the failed part.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Edward,

I have done that, including using known good parts from another system. At this point I think the motherboard has somehow got an issue with no way to correct the current problem thus needs to be replaced.

Best regards,

Alex

0 Kudos