Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Intel S5000XVN Memory issue - board hangs while scaling to 32 gi's of memory

lleat
Novice

I have the Intel S5000XVN motherboard and have gotten great use out of it for several years as my vmware server.

I recently decided to double my memory on this board from 16 gigs of memory to 32 gigs of memory - basically populating every memory slot with identical 4GB fully buffered kingston memory.

Matter of fact the additionally 16 gigs of memory cost me 500 bucks and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have just started over with a new mb.

Here is the issue:

Once I populate the memory out to 32 gigs the systems boots up and runs for about ten minutes and then it freezes hard.

I have the bios logging enabled and I'm getting very odd internal error 8110 on processor # 1 and error 8111 on processor # 2.

And to make matter worse, if I take out two modules to where the mb is only running at 24 gigs of memory I have no issues what so ever.

I uploaded the latest bios firmware last year and I can see there is no change in the bios upgrade options.

The memory modules are all identical, all Kingston, all buffered and all very expensive.

Is the motherboard overheating? Out of ideas here.....I have the mb loaded into a white box server box, not an intel server box and I'm wondering if the issue is thermal. I have two huge expensive heat sinks on the processors and have had no problems with this mb other than adding memory. Of course the kingston memory I'm using has clearly been tested by Intel.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
David_A_Intel

Let me provide some feedback on this one. A possible overheating event may trigger the 8110-8111 events. The same overheating may cause the unit to freeze hard.

It would be important to make sure that the memory modules are well-seated and if possible I would move the modules around to see if the issue follows a particular module or slot.

I know you mentioned that the part numbers are the same, how about the DRAM number?

It would important to capture the logs of the unit to see what's been recorded at the moment of the freeze. For this, you can use our http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-031911.htm Intel® System Event Log Viewer (SEL).

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel

@lleather

Were you able to get this issue resolved? Feel free to post a new message if further support is needed.

0 Kudos