Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Intel S5520SC + 2 SSD (RAID0) + 3TB HDD (no raid, not wisible in win7)

GNoni
Beginner

Hi,

I manage to configure 2 SSD to work in RAID0 on intel S5520SC via Embedded Server RAID Technology (no extra RAID controler). I have another 3TB HDD, is it possible somehow to ad it as a regular HDD (no RAID) whitout adding extra hardvare? Earlier i was using that 3TB HDD as my boot drive (well it used only 2TB cos it was not GPT, but was good for me until i got 2 Intel 520 120GB SSD). I installed WIN7 64bit on RAID0 SSDs with no problem, but my regular 3TB HDD isnt wisible on OS.

Tried everything:

Bios update, adding other smaller HDD, installed ESRT2_Windows_v.14.06.1007.2011_WHQL drivers, still 3TB drive is not detected on windows.

Its shows on bios normally, but not in win7, not even in disk mannager.

Im out of ideas, hope someone will help.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

See http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-030492.htm Newly added hard drive not recognized in operating system

0 Kudos
GNoni
Beginner

Tried this, receiving blue screen when windows is loading and trying to install.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Are you trying to install Windows on that 3TB drive? With ESRT2 OS disk can't be larger than 2TB.

0 Kudos
GNoni
Beginner

If i install win in 3TB drive than there is no point to use SSD!

It gives me blue screen before Windows installation is letting me choose disk that i want to install windows on to.
0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Have you tried to install the OS first, then connect the 3TB drive, and create the new VD within Windows using RAID Web Console 2?

0 Kudos
GNoni
Beginner

Yes, I was thinking same, and it helped, at first windows didn't showed it on my computer, but in win disk manager it was listed, i have to make partitions of it. Now only one important question left:

If I plug that 3TB HDD (witch is in RAID0) in to another PC with no raid, do all data will be fine? Cos I want to store important data on it, and if data will be lost than this solution isn't for me.
0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Yes data will be still accessible if you move the HDD to a different system. The metadata (RAID configuration) will remain on the disk, until you clear it on a system with ESRT2. But it won't impact data access.

Anyway, for important data, you should always have a backup.

0 Kudos