Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Intel SS4000-E Raid 5 DEGRADED Status

idata
Employee

Hi there,

I have external NAS with Intel SS4000-E Raid.

I configured this NAS a while ago with RAID 5 Disk configuration, however this morning the status showing "Degraded" (as shown on picture)

Note: I haven't replaced any of the drive

I am not expert on this one, but the system log said one of the hard drive failed.

Can somebody explain to me what should i do?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

The RAID is rebuilding on disk 4. Also, disk 2 is not being used. What's your initial RAID configuration? It seems to me that disk 2 failed, while disk 4 was configured as a hot spare, so it took the place. But disk 2 was brought back online, maybe after a reboot of the unit.

At this moment I think you can leave it as is, and wait till the rebild complete. Then check the log for errors. Most likely disk 2 needs to be replaced.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

can anybody help with this problem i'm facing?

thanks

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

The RAID is rebuilding on disk 4. Also, disk 2 is not being used. What's your initial RAID configuration? It seems to me that disk 2 failed, while disk 4 was configured as a hot spare, so it took the place. But disk 2 was brought back online, maybe after a reboot of the unit.

At this moment I think you can leave it as is, and wait till the rebild complete. Then check the log for errors. Most likely disk 2 needs to be replaced.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Edward,

Thanks for your support,

The initial disk configuration was Raid 5 + Spare (using 4 hard drives)

It seems like it finished rebuilding now, however if i want to replace disk 2 which seems to be the problem do I have to move disk 4 to disk 2 slot or i just need to replace the hard drive in disk 2?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Do NOT move disk 4 into slot 2! If you do so while the system is on, the RAID becomes degraded again, and will have to go through another rebuild.

Instead, just insert a new drive into slot 2. It should become a spare automatically when it's added to the RAID.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for your quick response Edward, it's a great help for me.

Another quick question, currently i'm using 4 x 320GB hard drive.

If I switch disk 2 hard drive to a larger capacity let say 500GB, will it be a problem?

Also does it need to be identical brand for the disk drive, or i can switch to other brand?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

500 capacity is OK, but only 320GB will be used. Other brand should also be fine, but it's recommended to use disks with same RPM to avoid vibration issues.

0 Kudos