Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Intel Server Board S1200V3RPL Fan speed

CMitc6
Beginner

d I was sold Intel Barebone System P4308RPLSHDR 4U 460W Server Board S1200V3RPL with 8x3.5inch Hot Swap Drive Kit Retail, which comes with the above mentioned server board. I was also sold a PCI RAID controller card, and later discovered that the motherboard has a RAID controller built into it. When I turn on the system, the fans sound like a plane getting ready for take off. I looked in the system setup and found what was supposed to be an option to change the fan speed but I couldn't tell that it really did anything. Is there anything that can be done about the fan noise?

I also was sold a mini SAS to mini SAS cable to go from the backplate for the hard drives to the PCI RAID controller card. The instructions say to press control G when the option appears, but it doesn't appear. Any ideas on that too?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

To slow down the system fans, you need to apply latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3703&DwnldID=23640 BIOS/Firmware.

As for the RAID controller, what's the model?

CMitc6
Beginner
0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

You can try to update system BIOS/Firmware first. After the update completes, disable "Quiet Boot" in BIOS. You may also want to update the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23601 RAID firmware.

0 Kudos
CMitc6
Beginner

I'll give that a try tomorrow and let you know. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
CMitc6
Beginner

edwardzh, I did the BIOS update from the link you provided. When it is almost done with the update the fans slow down, then it says something to the effect that it has to close something and it will take about 50 seconds. When that process is done, the fans speed back up and I'm back at square one. Any thing else I can try?
0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

The last step of BIOS/FW update is called FRUSDR. Did you choose the option to update SDR records? Was your chassis/system detected correctly?

You can also run https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22830 SEL Viewer to check for errors.

0 Kudos
CMitc6
Beginner

Clarification on my previous post, while it is doing the BMC Firmware Update, the fans slow way down, when it reaches 100%, it says "BMC Firmware Update successful. Please wait while exiting firmware transfer mode of controller address 20. This may take up to 50 seconds to exit." Then the fans ramp back up.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

After the BMC update, you still need to complete BIOS update, ME update and FRUSDR update.

0 Kudos
CMitc6
Beginner

I have done all of the options BMC Firware update, BIOS update, ME update, FRUSDR update, same results.

I'm not sure how to use the SEL viewer.

0 Kudos
CMitc6
Beginner

now it has 2 beeps, pause, 2 beeps, and says boot from recovery mode! The Intel splash screen doesn't appear

0 Kudos