Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

Intel Server Board S2600STB extremely slow (Booting + BIOS + Performance)

MB_4
Beginner

We have custom build server with Intel Server Board S2600STB + two CPUs SILVER 4110 + 6 modules SERVER MEMORY 16GB PC19200/REG KVR24R17S4/16 KINGSTON.

The problem we have is very strange. Server booting to BIOS screen after F2 takes about 1 minute. Every BIOS menu open takes 5 seconds, load default settings and save settings takes 20 seconds. Also, we have a Adaptec RAID kontroller installed. Adaptec RAID configuration also runs very slow and freezing, you can see how every screen have been drawing Debian installation till progress 20% on SSD M.2 takes 2 hours, also Windows installation till 30% takes about 4 hours. So, all system is running extremely slow, you can see how every BIOS screen have been drawing on monitor, like you have 0.00005 CPU cores. Server is brand new with all new components.

BIOS are on latest 14 version.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Martins B.

Thanks for joining the community.

Let me warn you that Intel server boards are not the fastest when POSTing. Usually 1+ minutes are normal for these boards.

About BIOS menus taking up to 5 secs and 20 secs for loading defaults its definitely not normal.

After checking the serverconfigurator.intel.com I found that the memory used doesn't show up as validated. This might be part of the issue. Besides that there is no compatibility information about this RAID controller. I could suggest to try booting up with a minimal configuration (no PCI devices, 1 mem module, 1 CPU) to find out if performance improves.

Hopes this helps.

Jose A.
0 Kudos
MB_4
Beginner

Today i have finally installed Windows and i see, that it's used only 0.11 GHz of 2x CPU speeds.

Utilization goes about 1-10% but Speed stay 0.11 GHz.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Martins B.

This behavior is completely normal for a server (or computer in general) been idle with no tasks running at the moment. If you want to see the CPU utilization rise up you will need to run any kind of stress application (real or benchmark).

Back to your original question, if you refer to low performance while on the OS then most likely it could be related to software. If the slow performance happens during POST bootup then it could be hardware related.

Is the server still exhibiting slow performance?

Jose A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Martins B.

Do you have any updates, questions or comments in regards to this issue?

Please do not hesitate to contact us back.

If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this thread as resolved.

Regards

Jose A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Martins B.

We will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and create a new topic.

Jose A.
0 Kudos