Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Intel Server Board S3420GPLX - Does not turn on

CParr2
Beginner

Buen día, me comunico con Uds. por un problema poco común o usual que me sucedió con un equipo con Intel Server Board S3420GPLX.

Hasta la semana pasada lo estábamos usando con un SO Ubuntu 14 LTS y Objetive C, pero necesitamos utilizarlo con Red Hat y Oracle, se realizó la instalación del Red Hat de manera normal y cuando hubo que reiniciar el equipo no lo hizo nunca más. Actualmente probé de desconectar todos los dispositivos externos, cambiar las memorias, sacar la pila, researt el BIOS, y no obtuve ninguna respuesta del equipo. No puedo entrar al Setup, no tengo video, no cuenta la memoria, lo único que tengo como dato para darles es que los led internos quedan en posición de inicialización, pero no tengo forma de acceder al equipo para configurarlo.

Les voy a agradecer que me puedan orientar al respecto de cómo reiniciar el Mother y por ende el equipo.

Desde ya muchas gracias

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Carlos,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

In regards your issue with the Intel® Server Board S3420GPLX, please try to clear the CMOS of your system by following these steps:

1. Power down the server. Do not unplug the power cord.

2. Open the server chassis. For instructions, see your server chassis documentation.

3. Move jumper (J1F5) from the default operating position (covering pins 1 and 2) to the

reset / clear position (covering pins 2 and 3).

4. Wait five seconds.

5. Remove AC power for 5 minutes

6. Move the jumper back to the default position (covering pins 1 and 2).

7. Close the server chassis.

8. Power up the server.

The CMOS is now cleared and can be reset by going into the BIOS setup.

You can find more detailed information on page 94 of the following document

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/s3420gp/sb/s3420gprx_tps_1_1.pdf

If the problem continues, please try to run your system with the minimal configuration.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance.
CParr2
Beginner

Unfortunately it did not work as indicated.

A

OFF

B

ON

C

ON

G

ON

D

ON

H

ON

E

ON

I

OFF

F

OFF

J

OFF

I am sending photos of Post Code Diagnostic LEDs

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Carlos,

If the problem persits and you are still not getting any video is really hard to determine the problem, but lets try one more thing. On page 96 – BIOS Recovery, this will force the system to boot into a recovery and should also force an image. Please follow the instruction on page 96.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
CParr2
Beginner

Many thanks Henry A.

Build a video with what is happening to me,

BIOS Recovery Jumper

The following procedure boots the BIOS recovery

1. Turn off the power system.

2. Move the BIOS recovery jumper to the recovery state. (2/3)

3. Insert a BIOS bootable media containing the new BIOS image files. (CD / USB)

4. Turn on the power system.

The BIOS POST screen will NOT show the progress, and the system will NOT boot to the EFI shell.

5. Turn off the power system.

The system turns on a yellow light and emits a twelve error beep.

Thank you very much for the assistance.

https://drive.google.com/a/itdelsat.com.ar/file/d/0B7Tw6zNd9bFSS3ZseGMzQnBTWkk/view?usp=sharing Sign in - Google Accounts

0 Kudos
CParr2
Beginner

Dear:

I tried the suggested options again and they did not work.

Reading the doc s3420gprx_tps_1_1.pdf, I see on page 7 that the LED A = System Status LED and on page 99 LED B = Status LED.

Currently LED A is OFF so I understand the Table 66 "AC power off. If not degraded, non-critical, critical, or nonrecoverable conditions exist. "

Is my analysis okay, I have an unrecoverable condition ??

Thank you very much for your help
0 Kudos
CParr2
Beginner

Dear:

I tried the suggested options again and they did not work.

Reading the doc s3420gprx_tps_1_1.pdf, I see on page 7 that the LED A = System Status LED and on page 99 LED B = Status LED.

Currently LED A is OFF so I understand the Table 66 "AC power off. If not degraded, non-critical, critical, or nonrecoverable conditions exist. "

Is my analysis okay, I have an unrecoverable condition ??

Thank you very much for your help
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Parrado,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

As an additional recommendation, please test your system without memory and check if you get 3 long beep, this indicates that your system is detecting your processor and is requesting for the memory. If this is the case, please swap or replace the memory modules and check if you get any video display.

If the system does not give you any beep codes this means that there is a problem with the server board and we need to check your warranty options. Remember that we offer a 3 year warranty on our server boards.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Parrado,

We are following up your case and we would like to know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
CParr2
Beginner

Estimados:

Lamentablemente todo lo realizado e indicado por Uds. no funciono. Lo cierto que el equipo cuando se enciende no realiza los "beep" de reconocimiento de memoria y se queda con el Status Led en OFF. Con esto de acuerdo a los que me explicaron Uds. tengo un problema en el chip de arranque en el procesador, lo cierto es que no funciono ninguno de todos los reset que me indicaron.

De mi parte les agradezco mucho la asistencia, si tienen alguna sugerencia que se pueda hacer con el equipo se los voy agradecer, también si me pueden sugerir alguna motherboard que soporte la serie Intel Xeon 3400, como para evaluar alguna alterativa de compra.

Muchas gracias

Carlos P.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Carlos P,

We are sorry to hear that your issue continues.

In order to check the warranty on your server board, please help us providing the serial and PBA number, please click http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005625.html# Lsp here for more information. Remember that we offer a 3 year warranty on our server boards.

Additionally, please check the compatible products list for the Intel® Xeon® Processor X3440 https://ark.intel.com/products/42928 here

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Parrado,

We are following up your case and we would like to know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
CParr2
Beginner

I have already closed the case. Thank you very much for your attention.

Carlos P.

0 Kudos