Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Intel Server Board SE7520AF2 will not boot

Mmarr4
Beginner

Hi

Server board: SE7520AF2

This server has been running fine for years up until today when I rebooted it remotely to find a black screen on the display.

I rebooted several times, and no BIOS screen appears.

the LED diagnostics on the board show;

BIT 4 (MSB) = RED

BIT 3 = RED

BIT 2 = AMBER

BIT 1 (LSB) = AMBER

the LED lights flash in different sequence every so often.

When I remove all RAM, receive beeps which I understand means the mainboard isn't fried.

I have removed all RAM and seated only 1 piece into the first slot. No good

I have formatted USB key using FAT16 , and copied the AMIBOOT.ROM to the USB key, changed jumper J1D1 to recovery, however do not know of the recovery bios loads (waited 5 mins when returned jumper back and still no luck on reboot)

RAM i'm using : samsung 1GB 1Rx4 PC2 3200R 333 10C1

please help as server is down!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

The Diagnostic LED translates to POST code F3, which means "Start reading the recovery file cluster by cluster". Do you also get the same code when you put the recovery boot jumper to normal boot position (J1D1, 9-10)?

You can also try to move the Rolling BIOS Bank Selection jumper (J2J6) to position 2-3 to force the board to boot from Bank 0.

0 Kudos
Mmarr4
Beginner

Hi

1. When do this, "You can also try to move the Rolling BIOS Bank Selection jumper (J2J6) to position 2-3 to force the board to boot from Bank 0. " , we get these diagnosic LEDs

BIT 4 (MSB) = RED

BIT 3 = AMBER

BIT 2 = OFF

BIT 1 (LSB) = OFF

2. Put jumper (J2J6) into original possition, and J1D1 is set tp normal boot - 9-10

same LEDS on boot up, as above

BIT 4 (MSB) = RED

BIT 3 = AMBER

BIT 2 = OFF

BIT 1 (LSB) = OFF

This is still with one memory stick in first bank.

Note if I swap the memory piece (exactly sme type) , I get diffrent LED's

BIT 4 (MSB) = RED

BIT 3 = RED

BIT 2 =AMBER

BIT 1 (LSB) = AMBER

It appears one of the memory modules is possibly faulty? But why can't the system boot with a working module???

Please advise next step

0 Kudos
Mmarr4
Beginner

Hi

The server appears to be booting now.

Not sure what resolved it, but here where my last steps;

Plugged in power

Set (J2J6) to position 2-3 to force the board to boot from Bank 0.

Set J1D1 to recovery

inserted USB drive with ROM

booted up, waited for a bit

nothing happed,

Restored jumpers above to original position, and booted....intel logo appeared happy days

What I have noticed is that if you plug in the power, then boot the server BLANK SCREEN appears.

If you then hold down the power button on chassis to power down, then power up again using the same button the server boots > weird!!!

I'm able to replicate this behavior each time.

Anyway server is running which is the main thing. thanks for help

0 Kudos