Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Intel Server System SR1550AL

sboyn
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I am working to run an intel server SR1550AL, but it is not responsing.

Conditions:

All component of server installed properly exept I am using one cpu for server instead of two because i do not have two fan for now.

Fan and other things is running good but the screan (vga) is not getting any thing.

InR addition, jumper is properly installed to get bios.

Purpose:

The think on that try to install a system on the server with bootable usb drive, but I couldn't get any output from device, please help abuot it.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
sboyn
Beginner

Please, i need immediate answer, thank you for attention.

0 Kudos
sboyn
Beginner

Where is intels support I am waiting your help..

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

You may check the POST LED on the back of the chassis. It helps you to identify the stage of POST. For more details, see chapter 7.5 and appendix C of the http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5000pal/sb/CS-022640.htm Intel® Server Board S5000PAL technical product specification.

0 Kudos
sboyn
Beginner

Now I make it work but after installation of operating system needs a reboot, so I reboot the system but after that it always gives me a blinking point. What should I do?

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Which OS did you install, and what's your HDD configuration?

0 Kudos
sboyn
Beginner

I made a video to explain my condition, hope it is ending this situation and I may get good breath...

steps:

1. starting

2. board condition to show

3. waiting for bios (F2)

4. hard disk order

5. booting

6. waiting and its going again to booting...

7. I had cut this from video: it is repeating to booting again and again.

Video is on youtube: http://youtu.be/vHANfB06v-4 http://youtu.be/vHANfB06v-4

could you tell me what is going on, thank you.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

If you notice the message at 2:12 saying "Booting CentOS "... that means the boot loader is installed, and the server was attempting to boot from HDD. Which version of CentOS are you installing?

CentOS is not a tested OS, but since it's a clone of RHEL so likely it may work. But still I strongly recommend you choose the OS version from the http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-022920.htm Hardware, Memory, and Operating System Compatibility.

0 Kudos
sboyn
Beginner

I am using Centos 6.4, and it is writting over there " Booting CentOS (2.6.32-350.e16.i686) in ... seconds. "

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

OK I can't see the version number very clearly in the video...

Anyway, that tells us nothing is wrong with boot settings in BIOS. Try to format the entire HDD and do a fresh installation. If that still doesn't work, try 5.3 since that the tested version of RHEL.

Also, I noticed your BIOS version is quite old (66), so you may want to download and apply the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19587&lang=eng Firmware Update Packages first.

0 Kudos
sboyn
Beginner

Could you tell me:

1) How may I format HDD from bios (just simple steps)

2) I do not have a running operating system, so how am I suppos to update bios, it is enough if I use USB ?(this is my first time to update bios)

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

1. You can enable onboard ESRT2 RAID, create a RIAD 0 array with the drive, initialize it, and then delete the RAID array. Maybe not the ideal way, but that's what I can think of, without any other tools.

2. You may need a DOS bootable USB key. See http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-025619.htm Creating a bootable USB device.

0 Kudos
sboyn
Beginner

I dont know is it because of BIOS or HDD but here my full problem:

I had tried to install CentOS 6.4 (same error at CentOS 5.10)

At the stage of installation:

PCI: BIOS Bug: MCFG area at a0000000 is not E820-reserved

PCI: Not using MMCONFIG

said but its keep going installation:

another level of installation gave me that error:

" Determining IP information for eth0 failed; no link present. Check cable? [FAILED] "

However, operating system installed succesfully and it was working then I had used "init 0" from commend line and restarted server again gives me that:

Intel (R) Boot Agent CE v1.2.40

Copyright (C) 1997-2006, Intel Corparation

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.

Intel (R) Boot Agent CE v1.2.40

Copyright (C) 1997-2006, Intel Corparation

Initializing and establishing link...

Last thing, I do not plugged any ethernet cable to server device.

I dont know what is problem but I am so tried from that...

0 Kudos
sboyn
Beginner

I had Uploaded bios and installed Centos 5.10 againg and same problem. When I do not unplugged bootable USB device that I used it to install OS to server computer OS is well works everything fine when I unplugged it and resetted server gives me " Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition"

When OS booting normally(plugged Bootable USB):

Red Hat nash versiyon 5.1.1... starting

sdc: assuming drive cache: write through

sdc: assuming drive cache: write through

so first thing, unpluggin usb interfering to write through operation.

second thing, USB stores booting partition even I do partition by manually to not include UBS booting things.

Is it possible to remove USB booting images or anything causes problem to HDD or any suggestion?

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

The SATA drive is trying too boot CentOS, but something happens during the OS boot, you lose video, then the system resets. Since it cannot find a bootable partition on the hard drive, that's why it defaults to trying to PXE boot, as you see in the messages you posted in the other thread.

Do you have (or can you get) a copy of RHEL 5.3 to test with, to see if it can make a correctly-bootable partition on the SATA drive?

0 Kudos
sboyn
Beginner

Yes I can get RHEL 5.3 copy but it is important that I need to know why this happining. Problem is when I unplugged bootable USB, server is not responding as a master drive, so how can I make it a master drive? Other thing I am using a 500 GB two HDD, is it possible to be a volume group problem?

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

If possible, try to install from a DVD-ROM.

0 Kudos
sboyn
Beginner

Sorry, it is not possible, no DVD Reader at the server.

0 Kudos
sboyn
Beginner

Firstly thank you edwardzh for kindly reply..

Problem solved with different call, when I used ISOTOUSB like at the attachment problem solved.

Pay attention to Hard disk name and usb name..

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Glad to know that you have finally got the problem resolved. And thanks for sharing the solution.

0 Kudos