Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Intel Server board S1200BTL - VMware vSphere 5 HCL

idata
Employee

I just purchased this board and waiting for delivery. I purchased this board because it is on VMware's HCL for vSphere 5. I had recently purchased an Intel desktop board DZ68DB but was having issues with the "system" just freezing with SRM testing. I read the desktop boards have issues with multiple NIC's installed? Anyway, returned DZ68DB and purchased this server board S1200BTL. The S1200BTL has two onboard NICs; Intel 82574L and Intel 82578DM. I find it odd the NICs are different? And the 82574L is listed as supported on VMware's HCL however the 82578DM is not supported? So basically I will only have one onboard NIC I can use with vSphere 5? Are there any plans to provide vSphere 5 drivers for the 82578DM NIC? I know from experience the 82578DM NIC will not load with vSphere 5 as that is the same NIC on the desktop board mentioned above.

Thanks for your assistance.

Tom Miller

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

I know the S3420GP had to be tested for VMware with an additional add-in NIC card. It could be the same for the S1200BTL.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I guess I thought when a MB was listed on the VMware HCL that ALL components on the MB were compliant. I don't see why Intel choose two different NICs to install on the S1200BTL and especially one not listed on the HCL?

Do the two NICs on the board you mention work with vSphere 5?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

If they're not on Vsphere's HCL, I wouldn't spend too much time trying to get them to work - it might be faster to just get a second PCIe NIC to make it work.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dan_O appreciate the reply's. I've already added extra NICs so I'm happy with the network config I have. I just think when Intel says a board is on the HCL that ALL components should work. How much could it have cost Intel to install TWO NICs that are on the VMware HCL?

Thanks Much!

0 Kudos