Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

Intel modular server SAS disk replacement

KBota
Beginner

Hello,

We need urgent help, so really apparitiate if anyone reply us:

We have an intel modular server with two blade and 14 Seagate 1TB disk installed. We have a RAID10 group and one of the disk dead from this group. Thanks for God we have to purchase a disk replacement from Germany (For astronomical sums ) .

But we have no clue what we have to do now?

- should we power off the servers or we just need to replace the disk online mode?

- after disk replaced, should we do anything or rebuild will occure automatically?

- should we need to do anything important?

- is this procedure will affect the operations? can we access data while rebuild?

Thank you very much.

Krisztián

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Holian,

In this case let me explain you briefly the HDD RAID replacement process

For the modular server you should be able to see the hdd with a green latch in the front. The green latches means the hdds are hot plugable which can be replaced during the server operation.

For your particular case you will need to identify the failed drive (red LED) take it out and place the new one in on the exact same bay. In that moment the rebuilding process will start automatically and there is no further action needed for you. While the rebuilding process is happening all data will be accessible and the server will remain operational as usual but you could detect a little performance impact.

If you would like to get more information about the RAID functionality go to the following URL for the Intel® RAID software User Guide https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/d29305023_raid_swug_r23_5.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/d29305023_raid_swug_r23_5.pdf

Hope this helps

Jose H.

0 Kudos
KBota
Beginner

Dear Jose,

Thank you for your relpy. I replaced the drive but i didn't see if the rebuilding started or not. Drive detected, status is Ok. If i select the storage pool there is a button to Rebuild. Should i wait to start the process automatically or hit the rebulid?

In the manual what you linked there is something im not sure:

"Before you replace a defective physical disk in a disk subsystem, a cold swap requires that you power down the system."

I think i got the answer:

On Intel® RAID Controller RS2WC080 and RS2WC040, if Virtual Drive is in degrade mode due to failed physical drive, auto rebuild is not supported for hot-plugged drive until a manual selection is made by users. As part of JBOD implementation for Intel® RAID Controller RS2WC080 and RS2WC040, all new drives that are hot-plugged will automatically become JBOD. Users need to manually move the JBOD drive to Unconfigured Good and auto rebuild starts after that. For more details, refer to Hardware User's Guide (HWUG) for above controllers.

So i started by manually...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Holian,

Great to hear that you were able to accomplish it by yourself. In this moment the rebuilding process should be almost done. I will appreciate if you could reply back when its finished to make sure that everything completed fine.

Looking forward to hear back.

Jose H.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello @Holian,

I was wondering if the rebuild process completed successfully. Feel free to reach out our team if you need anything else.

Regards,

David A.
0 Kudos