Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Intel s1200v3 comparison

BBasl
Beginner

Greetings Everyone, my first post here and probably many more in the future

I'am in the process of building a computer for audio purpose only. I have been searching for days, probably a month but unable to find definite answers, I want to be 100% sure if I'am buying the correct compatible hardware.

I believe some of you might be kind enough (if i may add, highly skilled experts with immense knowledge of computers) to help me out with this dilemma & queries which bog my mind.

Mobo Intel S1200V3 motherboard

Intel Haswell Xeon E3-1230L v3 CPU

the ram would be 2x2GB Apacer ECC DDR3-1066 RAM, CL7, unbuffered, industrial series (extended temp range from -45 to +85

'am confused about the MOBO, there are 4 versions in the intel s1200v3 family, RPL, RPO, RPM, RPS. Please note this will be a dedicated PC for playing audio only.

I have been asked to choose the one with minimum features, which one would that be?

thank you in advance and best regards,

Ben

p.s. OS would be windows server 2012 r2.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Good news, Windows 2012 R2 is fully supported - see http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-034301.htm Server Products — Operating system compatibility

As far as all the different versions go, the full details are in the http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-034196.htm Server Products — Technical product specification but the main difference is in the number of onboard hard drive ports that run at 3Gbps or 6Gbps, and how many riser slots they have.

RPO and RPM have only one riser slot, and RPM is the only one with onboard video. They would go better in a rack configuration.

RPS and RPL have more riser slots, and would probably be better for having the extra room for multiple add-in cards. RPS has some advanced management options.

does that at least help you get started?