Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Is S1200KP support VT-d ?

idata
Employee

Hello,

Want to buy s1200kp server board with E3-1235 processor to use with ESXi, does this board support VT-d ?

Thanks in advance,

VaZoR

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

I purchased this board assuming, since it uses the C206 chipset, it would surely support vt-d.

I tried with both a i5-2400S and a E3-1230, hoping the vt-d option would show in the bios - but nothing. Then I saw a new bios update on 1/28/12 and got all excited, but after updating, still nothing.

Anyhow - pretty disappointing.........

Surely this feature could be added via a bios update? If not, I just burned ~$200 for nothing. That's what I get for assuming!

-overmcp

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

With a C306 chipset, is a BIOS update all it would take, or is something else missing?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

No dice - looks like we are out of luck.........

-overmcp

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

I understand that you are looking to adding the BIOS option for VT-D on your Intel(R) Server Board S1200KP.

As far as we can see here, there are no plans to add the option through a BIOS update and only official BIOS releases are available.

In order to have VT-D available for your system, you would need an enterprise-class Intel(R) Server Board, such as one of the 5500 or 5520 series Intel(R) Server Boards.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,

Christian Z.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
MOrmo
Beginner

I would love to call BS on this...

overmcp wrote:

No dice - looks like we are out of luck.........

-overmcp

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

I understand that you are looking to adding the BIOS option for VT-D on your Intel(R) Server Board S1200KP.

As far as we can see here, there are no plans to add the option through a BIOS update and only official BIOS releases are available.

In order to have VT-D available for your system, you would need an enterprise-class Intel(R) Server Board, such as one of the 5500 or 5520 series Intel(R) Server Boards.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,

Christian Z.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

From the S1200BTL specs.....

® C202 chipset provides hardware support for implementation of Intel® Virtualization Technology with Directed I/O (Intel® VT-d). Intel® VT-d Technology consists of technology components that support the virtualization of platforms based on Intel® Architecture Processors. Intel® VT-d technology enables multiple operating systems and applications to run in independent partitions. A partition behaves like a virtual machine (VM) and provides isolation and protection across partitions. Each partition is allocated its own subset of host physical memory.

So the BTL fully supports VT-D, without going dual cpu platform. There is NO technical reason for the kp not to have it. Come on guys, No esrt2, no vt-d, minimal testing on server os's. (4 server Os, and 6 DESKTOP OS?) vs the BTL (13 server os, 1 desktop os).

Why are you even pushing this as a server board? It seems like a good technical board that marketing is hobbling so the larger boards can sell better.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Bad news.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Intel,

This is ridiculous. The other mainstream C206 board on the market, the Asus P8B WS, did not support VT-d initially either. A BIOS update fixed it and now it support VT-d perfectly. There is no market segment you are cannibalizing by adding VT-d support to the S1200KP. It would just make the board sell that much better because it would then be a perfect ESXi 5 board for demos and compact systems.

There are many, many users out there disturbed by the lack of VT-d in this board. You are missing a potential market segment that would be very loyal with this omission.

Bryan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I would pay for VT-D support!

0 Kudos