Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Is there DDIO equivalent I/O technology in recently released CPU?

User1590822345836119

Hi,

We have 2 servers in use, CPU are i9-9900ks and e5-2643v4 respectively. We equip them with solarflare's NIC to deal with network packets. Recently, we found that server with e5 CPU performs better than i9, which is different from our estimation.

We think that maybe e5 CPU can reach lower lantency with DDIO technology. But e5 is older generation, frenquency cannot meet our expectation. My questions are:

1. is there DDIO equivalent I/O technology in recently released CPU?like gold-6256 or W-2295.
  2. do mobile CPU support DDIO, like i9-9900ks ?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoseH_Intel

Hello User15908223458361196046,

Thank you for joining the Intel community

Even when the i9-9900 processor is from the very latest generation it is intended for desktop and consumer computers (enthusiasts, developers, etc.) usage. The Xeon processor, even from an earlier generation is more robust and capable to handle the load in a more efficient way. If you look this comparison you will see that even with 2 less cores and slightly lower clock frequency the smart cache and the bus speeds are higher in the Xeon processor. Regarding DDIO and I/OAT it seems like Direct Data I/O is a feature of the Xeon E5 processors that makes the network traffic be more efficient. In the other hand I/O acceleration technology seems to be a Intel NIC feature only not related directly with the CPU.

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit:

https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

I am just following up to double-check if you found the provided information useful. If you have further questions please don't hesitate to ask. If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this thread as resolved. This support interaction will be marked as resolved automatically in the next 3 business days if no activity is received. 

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

We will proceed to mark this thread as closed. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and create a new topic.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

In june 2nd we answered your original question. The following is a sumary of this original reply.

The i9-9900 processor is from the very latest generation it is intended for desktop and consumer computer usage. 

The Xeon processor, even from an earlier generation is more robust and capable to handle the load in a more efficient way. 

In this comparison, you will see that even with 2 less cores and slightly lower clock frequency the smart cache and the bus speeds are higher in the Xeon processor. 

Regarding DDIO and I/OAT it seems like Direct Data I/O is a feature of the Xeon E5 processors that makes the network traffic be more efficient. In the other hand I/O acceleration technology seems to be a Intel NIC feature only not related directly with the CPU.

We will proceed to mark this thread as closed. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and create a new topic.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos