Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

Issues with brand-new INTEL S3420GPLX Server Board

idata
Employee

Dear Experts,

I've just bought the INTEL S3420GPLX Server Board to build my private server.

1) I want to setup RAID on my HDDs.

What should I choose and why:

a) Intel Matrix

b) Intel Embedded Server RAID Technology II

c) Windows RAID (in Disk Management)

I'm also interested in:

- differences between a) and b),

- if any of them hardware RAID.

2) I have GPLX version of my motherboard. On Intel website, in product specification, there is information that it should have

Intel RMM3 included, but BIOS tells me that this module is not present. I CAN ping IP address (assigned in BIOS) of NIC1,

but I'm unable to connect to https:///. Port scanner shows, that only ports that are available are 22 and 6xx (don't remember it exactly).

- Why I am unable to access RMM3?

- Where can I find mmconfig.exe?

3) What the hell exactly is BMC and how can I access to all of it options?

4) I am very confused about BIOS settings: in Product Technical Product Specification, on page 42, there is mentioned

that board S3420GPV (so lower model than mine) has options to control PWM FAN speeds manually. In my board's BIOS there are

no options about hardware monitoring like temperatures and FAN speeds. I'm really sad about this, because after firmware update (full

update: BMC, SDR, FDR and BIOS) my FANs are running at full speed - this is deffinitely too loud for me.

- I HAVE NON-INTEL CHASSIS (it is too expensive for me, especially that this server will be used for private purposes),

- I was trying to modify GP17.sdr file (which I included in attachment: other.sdr.txt) but it didn't work,

- I've put jumper on Chassis Intrusion - no change,

- All my FANs are high quality REVOLTEC products, with PWM,

- I've tried to set BIOS options to OLIT, 300m or less, Acoustic.

- I've searched entire Intel Community forum and pages found by Google - no change,

- SEL shows nothing interesting.

I'm really resigned now, I don't know what should I do next.

Please help! I would finally star enjoining my server!

Thank You!

Selig

25 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Edward,

I tried to install a Radeon Sapphire 5450 which was not working. It was not seen by the system and was mapping lots of "eeee"s in the boot sequence (reproducable). Please can you give me a recommendation for a external graphic adapter which works with the S3420GPLX and is a little bit better than the native G200 support?

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Unfortunately I don't see any graphics cards on the http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s3420gp/sb/CS-030738.htm Tested memory and hardware list. And please take note that RMM3 doesn't work with add-on graphics card.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Edward,

I'm in troubles again with my S3420GPLX. The server is used beside the normal server functionality (storage, mail...) also for maintaining home automation and measurement. Therefor I have to connect several USB devices like chips from JoyWarrior, relay cards or USB soundcards. I also connected an USB stick to the internal floppy connector for copying disaster recovery information once a day. Everything is working fine if the external devices are plugged after the boot sequence. In every other case the server doesn't boot. I get different problems: Either permanent about 2 beeps a second and/or a disabled mouse and keyboard so I can't select a boot device from the offered list. I already disabled the option of alternativ boot from USB (otherwise the server would try to boot from the stick). Some of the USB devices are connected to USB2+3, some are connected via internal USB / slot bracket -> industrial active USB HUB. So I don't expect a power problem.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Is it related to certain device or certain port? Could you try to connect those devices one at a time to isolate the issue?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I made some additional tests:

One JoyWarrior controller either USB2 or USB3 works. Both controllers @2+3: continuously 2 beeps per second, no boot (the chips are normally used in joysticks, here they are used to register switch positions).

USB HUB (EXSYS "EX-1177HMV") @ internal / USB Bracket: List of boot devices appears but no keyboard available -> no boot. (no bootable device is attached to the HUB!)

Everything connected: Beeps + bootlist with no Keyboard...

Also to be stated:

Everything works well if attached after boot (so nothing seems to be defect)

Both JoyWarrior chips have been attached previously at a Tyan Toledo T35q without any problems.

The RMM3 is not yet delivered.

I tried another option still without success:

Keyboard & Mouse still connected @ USB0+1, everything else connected to the HUB, the HUB connected to USB3. Same issue: continuosly 2 beeps / sec. (I get 21 beeps, then a beep-beep and 21 again and so on). The board starts with beeping while the "...continue..." countdown is displayed. The board doesn't boot. Beeping stops, after pulling the USB plug at once. Again: everything works fine, if the USB is plugged in while the OS is starting.

I see no sense to install a RMM3 module if this problem is not fixed. Nobody is there to unplug and plug the USB.

Nobody here who can help?

0 Kudos