Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

JBOD2312S2SP Power Supply Issue?

SStev14
Beginner

I have a JBOD2312S2SP Intel Raid Enclosure (http://www.intel.com/content/www/xr/en/server-systems/storage-system-jbod.html Intel® Storage Systems JBOD Family) at my house and woke up to screaming fan noises. Warning light was blinking and the console showed this:

ID = 206

SEQUENCE NUMBER = 164362

TIME = 29-06-2013 03:13:39

LOCALIZED MESSAGE = Controller ID: 0 Power supply cable removed on enclosure: 1 Power Supply 1

Note I only have one power supply so if the cable was removed not sure how it was still running. Right after that warning received the below messages copied from the logs so the top one is the latest:

ID = 243

SEQUENCE NUMBER = 164371

TIME = 29-06-2013 03:13:44

LOCALIZED MESSAGE = Controller ID: 0 Fan speed changed on enclosure: 1 Fan 3

ID = 243

SEQUENCE NUMBER = 164370

LOCALIZED MESSAGE = Controller ID: 0 Fan speed changed on enclosure: 1 Fan 2

ID = 243

SEQUENCE NUMBER = 164369

LOCALIZED MESSAGE = Controller ID: 0 Fan speed changed on enclosure: 1 Fan 1

ID = 243

SEQUENCE NUMBER = 164368

TIME = 29-06-2013 03:13:42

ID = 243

SEQUENCE NUMBER = 164367

ID = 243

SEQUENCE NUMBER = 164366

ID = 243

SEQUENCE NUMBER = 164365

TIME = 29-06-2013 03:13:40

ID = 243

SEQUENCE NUMBER = 164364

ID = 243

SEQUENCE NUMBER = 164363

Last message until 6 minutes later I powered up a computer to remove in and shutdown the system. Pulled the power plug, put it back in, powered everything up, and it's running right now without issue. Thoughts?

Edit: As a side note, the Intel Raid Web Console shows this drive cage with 2 power supplies. Always did. I only have one. So not sure if that's just how many it can hold or if it's just not intelligent enough to detect the number of drives.

Thanks.

Steve

0 Kudos
41 Replies
idata
Employee

Steve,

We all know a reboot can solve many issues! Just how well and how permanently is the question.

Are you running the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3702&DwnldID=22615&ProductFamily=Server+Products&ProductLine=Intel%c2%ae+Storage+Systems&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Storage+System+JBOD2000+Family&DownloadType=Firmware&OSFullname=OS+Independent&lang=eng v0.13.0.6 expander firmware in your JBOD?

This expander firmware enables element pages for the JBOD2000 Storage Server System family Temperature, Cooling, Voltage, and Power Supplies. This firmware also provides for expander cascading. The standard issue RAID Expander RES2CV360-R firmware isn't tuned for the JBODs.

It is recommended that customers update to this version before deploying the JBOD.

John

0 Kudos
SStev14
Beginner

THanks for the reply. I am on that version. Right now I can't monitor much. raid web console 2 doesn't report to much.

THanks.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Check if the SMB cable between PDB and the expander is properly connected.

0 Kudos
PFunk
Beginner

Have the same issue? Flashed it to the newest Version; and fans will run at intermediate speed for about 10 hours, get message of temperature differential and fans set to high speed. RWC2 shows temps between 17 and 20 degrees C. Have 8 drives installed and the blanks are in the other cages. Seems the only way to get it quiet is complete shutdown, and then it will run at an acceptable noise level for 10 to 12 hours.

Installed a second power supply, and still had the same issue. It is only speculation on my part, but the town I live in had high line voltage going into houses (128 Volts) according to the report from the two different UPSs' in the server closet. There would be an event logged that the UPS was compensating for high line voltage. The whole town was shut down one day for electrical work, and when we came back up the line voltage was down to 120 - 121. That has been 10 days and since then the JBOD has only gone crazy once, and the UPS logs indicated the were compensating for line noise. This happened at almost the same time that the fans went nuts. You may want to look for events in the UPS logs that match up with the RWC2 event logs.

Have been out of town for a few days, but today we had a lightening storm, and when the UPS kicked in, the fans went nuts again. I thought that I had beaten the problem when I changed both power cords to the same USP, as one would show unplugged and one would not. I am at a loss now for anything else to try, as when the UPS takes over it now thinks both power cords have been removed. Oh well it worked well for a few days. My old case number with Intel was: ticketno:[8000754953]. I don't know if they will want to reopen it, but if other folks have the same problem hopefully it will be considered. Maybe they need to and some voltage regulators to this, as the servers don't seem to notice a problem; just the JBOD.

Message was edited by: Phillip Funk

Message was edited by: Phillip Funk

0 Kudos
SStev14
Beginner

Thanks for the input. It's driving me nuts. I have it connected to my PowerWare battery backup. Seems to provide a continuous 120 or 121V output. See it dip to 119V sometimes but the output is always 120 or 121V. If I plug it in the wall same deal. Recently at night found times where it doesn't have the screaming fan issue, but the fans will continuously go up and down and up and down but the computers as not doing anything. Plugged into the wall directly it's also doing this. Sometimes it's a day other times it can be 10 days. Apparently in my mind, it's either a semi bad power supply, or the device is just REALLY bad at dealing with any kind of power fluctuation and/or doesn't like the sin wave of the battery backup.

Wish Intel server stuff had an email address as this is a home use device and am rarely there to call for support.

Steve

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Steve,

You can email Intel Technical Support.

Go here: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport and follow the prompts until you get to the

Guest: Server Products and select "No, show me the contact information". The resulting screen will have options that include: Once you have this information ready, click "Email Technical Support" link.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
SStev14
Beginner

Thanks for the try John. Knew it would do this but tried again anyway. Once you get past the area you mentioned I then get another picklist. Pick storage enclosure. Then the JBOD2000 option. Tells me:

Intel does not support this product via email.Intel(R) Storage System JBOD2000 Familyhttp://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/jbod2000/ Top Technical Issues and FAQs

Includes the latest technical articles, FAQs, and support information for this product.http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=3702 Download any drivers, BIOS, firmware, or other software for this product.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Steve,

Our tools show that the JBOD2000 Family should be supported via email.

Let me check why you're getting the non-support message.

John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Steve,

Sorry for the confusion. We've figured out why the email form wasn't showing up. The fix will be implemented tonight. You'll be able to find the JBOD2000 email form through the process above tomorrow.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
SStev14
Beginner

thanks for the help but worse now. Now when I pick my storage server from the next menu choice takes me here:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Steve,

From the http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/server/jbod2000 JBOD2000 support page select "Contact Support" under the Support left nav.

In the Contact Support box you'll need to Select your region and Select your product (Server Products). In the question box you can put anything in, but need to enter something.

In the Guest: Server Products box, select "No, show me the contact information".

In the Guest: Contact Information box, select Storage Server.

In the Guest: Storage Server, box, select Email Technical Support.

That should take to to the Intel® Storage Server Support email form.

That works for me.

Or you can go straight to the http://www.intel.com/support/mailform/server/storage/emailsupport.htm Intel® Storage Server Support email form.

John

0 Kudos
SStev14
Beginner

Thanks for the help John. That worked. Not sure I got the best person to respond to me since it doesn't look like from their response they read my submission fully but guess I'm good from a forum perspective.

MEntioned in the email the firmware I was on. Person told me to download the firmware like they didn't read my message.

ASked if itf it could be my main server making the noise. After I mentioned the error in raid web console and the fact that the jbod was showing a red/orange error light.

I Used to be in tech support and whoever I got is definitely running on autopilot. Seen it before.

Steve

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Steve,

Did they give you a service ticket number so I can review how the ticket is proceeding?

John

0 Kudos
SStev14
Beginner

John. They got back to me and apologized for not seeing all my info. They are reviewing my logs right now. My ticket number is 8000790225.

Phillip. Thanks for updating your response. I have referenced your case in my ticket. Will keep you informed.

0 Kudos
SStev14
Beginner

Phillip. I attached your ticket. They said they were going to do some kind of warranty replacement but couldn't reach you so closed the case. May be when you thought it was fixed. May want to re engage them.

0 Kudos
PFunk
Beginner

Sorry about being tardy, been kind of swamped with other issues. They did send me a replacement power supply; but it did not change the situation. I had already ordered a second one. I thought for a while I had it beat after having each power supply connected to a different UPS, and seeing which one was the most sensitive. I then connected both power supplies to the least sensitive. Ran fine for almost 3 weeks, but after the last storm we had; and a very short power outage (less than one minute) the fans were at max again. Again the only way to resolve the issue was a complete shutdown and restart. It has to be a Voltage issue with the system itself as the other servers in my closet are not affected, even thought they are on the same UPSs'.

0 Kudos
SStev14
Beginner

For me they aren't replacing the power supply, but the power distribution board. Thought that's what they said they were going to do with you to but perhaps we are talking about the same thing. Since the board hasn't been revisioned, and they had some firmware updates to fix this problem, I'm not overly confidant it will fix it. I mentioned my concern that the system has issues with power fluctuation and may not be compatible with the sin wave of an apc, but they feel it will help. That said, guessing I have to go thru the process. Just hate paying for shipping on something I don't really think is going to resolve the issues.

Steve

0 Kudos
PFunk
Beginner

I returned the power supply that they had sent me when the one I had ordered arrived. Have now checked for a while; is there a firmware update they think works. Would be nice to resolve this as it is storm season so I expect a lot of UPS usage. My UPSs' are not cheap one, rack mount APC 1500 units, and there are no issues with the servers, just the JBOD. I will look for a firmware update.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
SStev14
Beginner

Firmware update was from March I believe and said it was supposed to help with the screaming fan issue. Since it didn't they felt my power distribution unit the fans all plug into was bad and should be replaced.

Steve

0 Kudos
PFunk
Beginner

Since my last post I have had run away fans twice; the last time was this morning. The physical tab in RWC2, (latest Version), always says power cord removed when the fans run up from normal to high speed. The unit is in as very small closet with a built in air conditioner, and even in the summer on hot days I have never seen the room temp above 62 degrees F. Glad the servers are in the garage rather than my office. It appears as I have said before, anytime the UPSs' intervene the fans go crazy. Would be nice to have a fix as we are in talks with a client to put one of these in an office for storing backup images.

0 Kudos