Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Linux Kernel Configuration: INTEL_SPEED_SELECT_INTERFACE not set

EajksEajks
Beginner

Hi

On two different Dell PowerEdge server configurations (one with a 2nd gen XSP 8226 and one with a 3rd gen 5317), both reinstalled from scratch with a vanilla Debian 11 (kernel 5.10) and a vanilla Ubuntu 20.04.5 (kernel 5.4), I was not able to get the intel-speed-select utility working.

In both Debian 11 and Ubuntu 20.04.5, the intel-speed-select utility was not installed and I compiled ot from sources. When I run it I get in all cases:

$ sudo ./intel-speed-select --help
Intel(R) Speed Select Technology
Executing on CPU model:106[0x6a]
Intel speed select drivers are not loaded on this system.
Verify that kernel config includes CONFIG_INTEL_SPEED_SELECT_INTERFACE.
If the config is included then this is not a supported platform.

On Debian 11,

$ grep INTEL_SPEED_SELECT_INTERFACE /boot/config-$(uname -r)
# CONFIG_INTEL_SPEED_SELECT_INTERFACE is not set

On Ubuntu 20.04.5,

$ grep CONFIG_INTEL_SPEED_SELECT_INTERFACE /boot/config-5.4.0-132-generic                                                                                     
CONFIG_INTEL_SPEED_SELECT_INTERFACE=m

Both servers are configured in the BIOS such that all fancy Intel CPU options are enabled.

So... how do I get the intel-speed-select utility working without having to recompile the whole kernel?

Many thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello EajksEajks,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In this case, the models of processors that you have are considered OEM models only; therefore, you will have to go directly with the vendor to whom the processors were purchased and get any the technical information or documentation directly through them, once you have reached them out you can ask them to help you or get any information for you by requesting a Field engineer to be assigned to your project, or you can also open a ticket in our IPS support channel and request the assistance there.

Best regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello EajksEajks,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Please let me know if you still need further assistance.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello EajksEajks,

We have not heard back from you.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos