Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

M.2 PCIe SSD in S2600BPB

Karthik_G_Intel
Employee

Hello,

I have a Buchanan Pass system with the S2600BPB motherboard (XXLRE chassis, HNS2600BPB compute module). An Intel PCIe M.2 SSD is attached to riser slot 2 (back). However, the SSD is not visible in the OS.

* BIOS version: SE5C620.86B.00.01.0009.101920170742

It's not just one bad system - I have 2 chassis, 8 modules; same issue.

If I add HHHL PCIe SSDs (P4600 for example), I can see the drives as /dev/nvme* devices.

Is there a BIOS setting that is needed? I have tried both UEFI and Legacy boot options.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Jorge_S_Intel
Employee

Hello,

This could be related to the Operating system you are using. CentOS 7.4 needs the drivers installed before, in order to recognize those M.2

Try to check the type of onboard controller that the server board is using to handle those drives (AHCI, ESRT2) and then get the drivers to load. As an additional step and for testing purposes only, try one of those nodes (if possible) with another operating system, either Windows or Linux, and check if the drives get recognize.

0 Kudos
Karthik_G_Intel
Employee

Hello George,

Thanks

* The controllers are all set to AHCI mode

* CentOS 7.4 can detect the AIC form factor PCIe SSDs (P4600) in the same system. It has the nvme driver loaded, yet doesn't see the M.2 SSD. Is there some additional driver that needs to be installed?

Note: I'm not trying to boot off the M.2 SSD, I'm just trying to detect it from the OS after the OS boots up (OS installed on a SATA SSD)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
SBlitz
New Contributor II

Hi,

Did you fix this issue? This M.2 is PCIE based, so AHCI or alike setting won't help too much IMHO...

0 Kudos
Karthik_G_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, thanks for reaching out,

Just to check some basics there:

Your OS is not capable to find the rive because is missing the required driver for it, at this moment, there is no Linux support for this hardware, the only available drivers existing are for Windows please, check: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/135106/Intel-SSD-E-6100p-Series-128GB-M-2-80mm-PCIe-3-0-x4-3D2-TLC- Downloads for Intel® SSD E 6100p Series (128GB, M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 x4, 3D2, TLC) as a reference

Have you had the chance to review the article https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026416/memory-and-storage.html?wapkw=000026416 System Requirements for Operating System Installation on a PCIe* NVMe* SSD? That one in particular is for booting drive but it defines the general requirement s for using the technology.

For testers you could try to install one of the windows versions described in the article parallel to your CentOS then install the driver and map the drive from the device manager, so we can confirm the board is capable to allow access to the drive from OS.

Should you have further questions or concerns please let me know.

Kenneth_R

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi this goes as a follow up on this matter, has the information provided before answers to your question?, is it OK to set this thread as closed?

Regards.

Kenneth R.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

This goes as a refresher on this matter since we haven't heard back from your end we assume no further assistance is needed, henceforth, the thread will be set as closed, should you need anything else please let us know.

Kenneth_R

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
Karthik_G_Intel
Employee

This can be closed - unfortunately I don't have access to Windows to try out the suggestions n the forum.

0 Kudos