Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

MFS5520 Firmware Update Won't Complete

EAudi
Beginner

Greetings,

I have a MFS5520 compute module that I am trying to install in a MFSYS25V2 chassis. The compute module is populated with two Xeon X5650 processors and two DIMMS of Kingston KVR1333D3E9S/8G, one in slot A1 and one in slot D1. The modular server has been up and running for months and all the other compute modules are model MFS2600KI (including the compute module that the 5520 is replacing). The other compute modules are running BMC Firmware version 1.0.3616 and BMC Boot version 1.14 but the the new 5520 compute module shows that it has BMC Firmware version 1.27.1 and BMC Boot version 0.28 (BIOS version currently shows 'unknown'). When I put the 5520 into the chassis the modular server "Firmware" page shows that BIOS updates are pending and a reset is required. I have completed multiple resets of the 5520 (via the link in the firmware page) but after each reset is complete the 'reset required' message still shows and the BIOS version still shows as 'unknown'. I have tried clearing the CMOS on the 5520 via the jumper on the motherboard but that did not seem to have any effect.

Any ideas? Can 2600 and 5520 compute modules be mixed in the same chassis?

Thanks for your help.

-Ed

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

I would like to acknowledge that this product is currently out of interactive support. Intel no longer provides email, chat or phone support for this product.

As a recommendation on your particular case, I would like to suggest the following:

*Connect a monitor and a keyboard directly to the MFS5520 compute module.

*Check the status displayed on the screen. Here you can check if the system tried to run any update or if it will be required to reboot this module.

*Remember that in the BIOS you can configure the boot options in order to start with the EFI shell, so you can proceed with the update.

Faubricio G.

Intel® Enterprise Support
0 Kudos
EAudi
Beginner

Thank you for the reply. I have a monitor and keyboard connected to the 5520 but unfortunately it will not power on so I can't access the BIOS settings. If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

-Ed

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

I have few questions Ed.

Is the system displaying something in the screen?

Is it doing the POST?

Could you try a different bay?

What about removing the RAM and check for beeping sounds?

faugub_intel

# iwork4intel

0 Kudos
EAudi
Beginner

Thank you for the reply. Here are the answers to your questions.

Nothing is displayed on the screen when I try to power on the compute module. The power light turns green for only a second, then the power light turns off and the yellow fault light starts to flash.

The compute module does not POST.

I have tried this compute module in other bays but that did not make a difference.

I have also tired using just one processor with one RAM card (we have two processors and two RAM cards for this module). I tried both processor and RAM combinations separately in case one of the processors or RAM cards is bad.

-Ed

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Ed,

For further assistance on your inquiry please contact our support directly:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @14 Intel Server Support

faugub_intel # iwork4intel
0 Kudos