Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4776 Discussions

MFS5520VI OS installation help

steverinaz
Beginner

Hi all;

I have an Intel MFS5520VI 3 blade system with approximately 14 GB of available storage. Prior to my arrival as IT manager it was running VMW v5.5

We've since migrated all of the VMs to another system.

I have 3 active boards and would like to install an OS like FreeNAS or other type- it was currently booting from small USB sticks, one per blade. I understand that an OS should not be installed to any of the drives. I really need some guidance and Google/Intel have very little to offer.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JoseH_Intel

Hello steverinaz,

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request. Thank you for understanding.

The still available support resources could be found in the following website: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/48002/server-products/legacy-server-products/intel-compute-module-mfs5000vi-family/intel-compute-module-mfs5520vir.html

Unfortunately, there are no info about these OS been used on these servers as they were never tested/validated by Intel. At this point, you will need to go trial and error probably.

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit:

https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos
steverinaz
Beginner

Thank you @JoseH_Intel ...  I'm ok with trial and error...I believe OpenNAS or Ovirt, etc will run. The problem I have is that I do not have any documentation on how to do an OS install.

3 compute boards, each with dual Xeon E5620/2.4Ghz 4 core cpus and 192GB RAM.

In theory I have 24 cores and 576GB RAM and 6.6TB on SAS and 4.47 GB on SATA drives.

The OS was installed on USB drives; how do I image an OS and boot from server 1, and server 2,3 see the drives I'll create?

0 Kudos