Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

MFSSYS25V2 and expansion JBOD setup

SBerg6
Novice

Well, I found a JBOD expansion chassis (24-300GB Intel SSDs) that will connect to my MFSSYS25V2 and have a few questions I need answers to that I am not finding in the documentation.

We have two SCMs. The current drives all have their affinity set to SCM1 (had some issues with 2008R2, MPIO, and initially installing the OS to the CMs so I just removed SCM2, set affinity on all drives to SCM 1 and then all was well). Now, with the addition of the JBOD coming, am I going to want to run the JBOD unit off SCM1 with all the others or will I want to dedicate SCM2 to run the JBOD unit? The JBOD unit has a single controller.

I have looked at the documentation concerning VTrack JBODS, but these have dual controllers. The JBOD coming is a single controller

Many THANKS!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Compute Modules set with Affinity for SCM1 will ignore SCM2, and anything attached to it, until SCM1 fails.

SBerg6
Novice

One last thing. Can the SCMs be used to control a single JBOD chassis like it does with the on board drives to create Storage Pools and virtual drives?

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

The SCM won't control the external JBOD - it just provides an external pass-through port, making an electrical connection from the JBOD to the compute module. You can't create a virtual drive using anything attached to the external port.

0 Kudos