Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

MFSYS25 Switch module problem

sadmi7
Beginner

Hi,

I have network problem with my Intel MFSYS22 (Current Build Version: 6.10.100.20120307.34729) Switch module.

Product NameGigabit Ethernet SwitchManufacturerIntel CorporationManufacture Date2008-02-03 10:40:26 PMPart NumberD70739-404Serial NumberBZTC80500085Asset TagUp Time0 days 0:46:35Product IDINTEL_SMHW VersionD70739-404Boot Version1.0.0.6SW Version1.0.0.27

Once or twice a day it loses network connectivity on external and internal ports. It's status becomes "Unmanageable" until I remove it from chassis and put it back.

This issue start about month ago, but for first time it loses network connectivity once at 10 days. Now it loses twice times for a day.

How can I resolve this issue?

24 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

If you have two switches, and haven't done this already, down the administrative link between them:

From the CMM GUI, choose System | Switches | Advanced Configuration

Mouse over any port and choose Port Configuration

Select Port | 10G.XC | Admin Status | Down

and Port | 10G.SC | Admin Status | Down

If you only have one switch, then either you're getting some bad STP traffic, or the switch might be going bad. Can you check the Event Log for the switch, and see if there are occurrences of STP stopping ports from transmitting?

0 Kudos
SMila2
Beginner

We have the same problem.

We have one switch in chasis and when it stop working we get:

Component Class Chassis

Event Code OID CH_CFG_ESM1_ASSERT

ID 1102

Subsystem NA

Type IPMI

Severity: Info Warning Critical

Brief Description Chassis Mis-configuration Fault

Detailed Description A Switch Module is required but not present in Switch Slot 1

contributing to a Chassis Mis-configuration fault.

Cause Missing Switch Module in Switch Slot 1

Action Insert a Network Switch Module in Switch Slot 1

After we take switch out of chasis and put it back, the system start working normaly.

This happends once, twice a month, there is no rule.

Any clue, help ???

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Sasa, I would ask the same question I asked Anton - Can you check the Event Log for the switch, and see if there are occurrences of STP stopping ports from transmitting?

0 Kudos
SMila2
Beginner

Hi Dan,

No, there is no errors on STP.

We try something else (on hardware level) but we'll send our experiance for a week or two (to see if this happend again).

0 Kudos
SMila2
Beginner

Hi,

We clean switch module inside, from dust (it wasn't a problem), put a new thermal compound (it was dry) on coller and so far the problem is not solved but it's not heappend that often.

0 Kudos
JMert
Beginner

Hello,

We have the same problem, it started with once a month and now somtime once an hour. Cleaning the module and the contacs did not give a solution. No useable mentions in the log-file. Soft reset via the manager is not possible.

Jean Paul

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Jean Paul -

If the switch is dropping every hour, it may need to be replaced.

0 Kudos
JMert
Beginner

Dan,

For now the switch is up for a whole week without any problem or event in the logs????

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Did that happen in response to anything, or did the switch just start staying up by itself?

0 Kudos
JMert
Beginner

The only thing I did was remove the switch wait a few seconds and put it back, as I did many times before.

0 Kudos
jshef
Beginner

we have been having this issue off and on over the last 6 months. It seems to go through fits. once or twice a month it will go out a single time, but other times it will go out many times a day, or at least once a day. then it will go for weeks with no outages.

there doesn't seem to be any stp traffic. the only thing i see in the event logs is that it registers to switch as disconnected.

For me, it seems that when it becomes really moody, simply reseating doesn't seem to fix it long. i have to power the unit off and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Has anyone found a fix besides spending hundreds/thousands of dollars on such an old system?

thanks

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel

If the listed recommendations on this thread have not resolved this situation, I would strongly recommend contacting http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Intel Customer Support for proper follow up and resolution of your case.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

One of our customers just started having this same issue with this switch module. The servers continue to run and still show their network connections as valid, but network traffic does not traverse the switch (cannot ping any IP address outside the compute module). Also, workstations connected to the main switch, which is connected to the switch module, cannot access the console management module, which is also connected to the switch module. The console reports this as a bad connector on the compute module. However, a replacement compute module behaves the same way. Removing, reconnecting, and restarting the compute module does not fix the issue; only removing power from the switch module fixes it temporarily. The problem recurs randomly every 1 - 4 weeks.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel

How many switch modules are installed? If you have two switch modules, have you tried the recommendation posted earlier?

From the CMM GUI, choose System | Switches | Advanced Configuration

Mouse over any port and choose Port Configuration

Select Port | 10G.XC | Admin Status | Down

and Port | 10G.SC | Admin Status | Down

Are there any entries in the Event Log for this issue?

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel

Were you able to follow the recommendations listed by Dan_O? If the issue remains, I would suggest contacting our http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Intel Technical Support team to provide the logs of your system for proper follow up.

0 Kudos
DG9
Beginner
Product NameGigabit Ethernet SwitchManufacturerIntel CorporationManufacture Date2008-03-05 10:01:54 PMPart NumberD70739-404Serial NumberBZTC80800352Asset TagUp Time0 days 1:29:26Product IDINTEL_SMHW VersionD70739-404Boot Version1.0.0.6SW Version1.0.0.27Base MAC00:15:17:6B:FB:D4

The same problem! Help! Working Battle server! No problems in the events do not. Simply disappears network. And the charge becomes unmanaged!
0 Kudos
SMila2
Beginner

Anybody find the solution for this problem ?

I start getting the same problem after a while :-(

0 Kudos
DG9
Beginner

Yet solved the problem of the new cords! I think so, in the absence of packets card falls asleep forever ...

0 Kudos
DG9
Beginner
0 Kudos
SMila2
Beginner

Unfortunately it doesn't work anymore but it get strange behaviour.

First of all, to get clear. I check logs, I change cables, I change switch (external) and nothing.

Now it doesn't work at all BUT

When I insert switch module back to chassis switch module light green and all lights on ports start to light and try to get connection.

On the other side, on external switch it get lights, like connection is established BUT after that (5-10 seconds) switch module just stop working.

All lights are down (for ports) and power light is green for good.

I know I have to change module but this situation make me curious.

is there some manual for erminal connection on switch module?

0 Kudos