Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Mainboard S1200KP hangs sporadically during POST

idata
Employee

Hello all,

I've built a new server with the S1200KP(R) and a Xeon E3 1265L V2 and 2x4 GB Kingston ECC memory.

I've also flashed it to the BIOS Version 23.

During POST the splash screen always shows EB and then hangs from time to time. I do not have an

additional graphics card installed. When the OS has booted it runs stable as far as I can tell.

I find this annoying. Is there a workaround to prevent this or is it a BIOS bug?

Best regards

Stefan

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

marcopolo,

I'm using the S1200KPR.

Thanks anyway,

Stefan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Update the firmware if it is not already up to date.

If that is not an option then...

First, look at the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21003&lang=eng System Event Log for the main board

Also, check out this http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-033636.htm guide for troubleshooting boot issues. It does not sound like this is normal.

Message was edited by: Jason

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Jason,

I do not have any plug-in cards installed. The firmware is also the latest.

I've tried to use the System Event Log-Tool, but its screen was blank after it started.

Does this mainboard have the HW to support its operation?

It would be good if someone could explain why EB "calling legacy boot ROMs" is displayed by

the BIOS when I do not have any plug-in cards installed.

Regards

Stefan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dear Stefan,

i quote your "During POST the splash screen always shows EB and then hangs from time to time"

i am using the S1200KP (1st Revision) and i had the same problem on my first Windows Home Server installs.

I found out that the cool-pit was my USB DVD-RW. when using it the board was stuck during post at the EB phase. When i unplugged the extrernal USB DVD-RW all was running smothly.

Another way to solve this if you really need the external DVD-RW drive attached you must populate the drive with a disk. Then your post sequence will go through as normal....

Probably it is a BIOS related glitch but no-one cares to fix it...

0 Kudos