Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Maybe too short auto learn period for AXXRMFBU7

STurc
New Contributor I

Hello!

I've got Intel RSP3TD160F RAID Controller with AXXRMFBU7 MFBU. Raid Web Console 3 (and storcli) shows that auto learn is "transparent" with period = 1 DAY.

We have previous generation Intel RAID controller RS25AB080 with SuperCap2 module - it has auto learn period = 28 days which is on par with accumulator based BBUs.

Is 1-DAY auto learn period of AXXRMFBU7 normal? Is it so frequent by design or due to a firmware bug?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello SergeiTurchanov,

Hope you are doing fine.

In order to better assist you, can you confirm the firmware version of the RAID controller?

Regards,

Charlie_Intel
0 Kudos
STurc
New Contributor I

Sure,

Versions

================

Product Name : Intel(R) RAID Controller RSP3TD160F

FW Package Build: 50.5.2-1326

Mfg. Data

================

Mfg. Date : 07/31/17

Rework Date : 00/00/00

Revision No : 56005

Battery FRU : N/A

Image Versions in Flash:

================

Boot Block Version : 7.02.00.00-0017

BIOS Version : 7.05.02.0_0x07050400

FW Version : 5.050.00-1367

NVDATA Version : 5.0500.04-0004

Cachevault_Info :

Type CVPM05

Auto Learn Period 1d (86400 seconds)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SergeiTurchanov,

As this is a Maintenance Free Backup Unit it does not need an auto-learn, that is the reason why it is showing just 1 day, it is different from the other versions that have an actual battery like "lithium batteries" that the system needs to learn the capacity.

Regards,

Charlie_Intel
0 Kudos
STurc
New Contributor I

No, I beg to differ.

As I said we have previous generation of Intel RAID Controllers - a RS25AB080 with SuperCap2 module - this is also MFBU and it does auto learn every 28 DAYS.

And I strongly disagree with that MFBU doesn't need an auto-learn, because both RS25AB080 and newer RSP3TD160F do that which is confirmed by controller logs:

6:09:09 AM,2 Oct'18 Controller ID: 0 Energypack relearn will start in 1 day

6:08:02 AM,2 Oct'18 Controller ID: 0 SuperCap Health After Learn Cycles Capacitance: 7400 mF, Resistance: 295 mOhm, Voltage: 9800 mV, Temperature: 21 Deg, Over55DegBucketCount: x0, Over60DegBucketCount: x0, Over65DegBuccketCount: x0, Over70DegBucketCount: x0, Over75DegBucketCount: x0

6:08:02 AM,2 Oct'18 Controller ID: 0 Energypack relearn completed

6:06:57 AM,2 Oct'18 Controller ID: 0 Energypack relearn in progress

6:06:57 AM,2 Oct'18 Controller ID: 0 Energypack charge complete

6:06:57 AM,2 Oct'18 Controller ID: 0 Energypack started charging

6:05:57 AM,2 Oct'18 Controller ID: 0 Energypack relearn started

6:05:52 AM,2 Oct'18 Controller ID: 0 Energypack relearn pending: Energypack is under charge

Will you, please, address my inquiry to someone who really knows the stuff?

Is it normal that AXXRMFBU7 does auto-learn every 1 DAY whereas RS25AB080 with SuperCap2 module did auto-learn every 28 days. Is this by design or a firmware bug?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SergeiTurchanov,

Let us work on the same hardware and see if we can replicate this issue. I was checking our records in our database and I could not find other customers reporting the same issue.

Again, let me get a hand on the same hardware and see what could be causing this. I appreciate the opportunity of assisting you.
0 Kudos
STurc
New Contributor I

Do you mean that you need to have a remote access to my server?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SergeiTurchanov,

There is no need for remote access to your server. As a matter of a fact, I put the same hardware together and I am getting the same results where the Auto-Learn Mode is set to 1 day. To me, this is possible since it is flash-based.

I am confirming with our Engineering department to give you an official statement about this. Again, I trying to confirm this as soon as possible. Thanks for your understanding and patience.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SergeiTurchanov,

We are still confirming with our Engineering department.

Again, thanks for your understanding and patience.

We will get back to you as soon as possible.
0 Kudos
STurc
New Contributor I

Ok, I'll wait. Thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SergeiTurchanov,

Thank you for your patience, we are still working with the same hardware, at this time the Raid controller is showing us the same learn period in our system (1 day), so we are waiting for the Engineering Department confirmation to provide you with an accurate information.

Regards.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SergeiTurchanov,

Here is the information:

Taking a look at the Trimode RAID controllers User Guide:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/raid-products/Tri_Mode_Modules_Hardware_User_Guide.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/raid-products/Tri_Mode_Modules_Hardware_User_Guide.pdf

Section 2.12 denotes the following:

"The recharge rate of the super-capacitor is minutes as compared to hours for a battery"

Therefore there is a difference in charge/re-recharge timings if compared with older Battery Backup Units.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Regards,

0 Kudos
STurc
New Contributor I

Is this a reply from your Engineering Department or you are just trying to make my waiting time more enjoyable?

Because your information is irrelevant as I asked about retrain period not the charging time.

I repeat:

Is it normal that AXXRMFBU7 does auto-learn every 1 DAY whereas RS25AB080 with SuperCap2 module (which is also a MFBU) did auto-learn every 28 days. Is this by design or a firmware bug?
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SergeiTurchanov,

It is by design and normal, not a firmware issue, confirmed by the engineering department.

Regards,

0 Kudos
STurc
New Contributor I
0 Kudos