Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Moving raid configuration from one controller to another

GGrze2
Beginner

Hello

In our server we had Intel raid controller RS3DC040, something goes wrong and controller died. We didnt have same controller so we used MegaRAID SAS 9361-8i everything rebuilds and work fine. The problem starts when our new RS3DC040 arrived from Intel. It doesnt want to import foreign configuration - it says that configuration is not complete. Is it possible that 4 disk controller cant load configuration from 8 disk controller ? We didnt change nothing with disk setup there was 4 disk 2 VDs and still there are 4 disk and 2 VDs

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Emeth_O_Intel

Hello GGrze2, 

Thank you for contacting Intel Server Community.

Unfortunately, there is not much to do. If you change the RAID controller and now you are using a different RAID Controller the configuration is not going to export as far as I know.

Nevertheless, allow me to do some research about this and as soon as possible I will get back to you with the most accurate information.

Regards,

Emeth O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
GGrze2
Beginner

After changing controller to diffrent one it doesnt want anything from us, it import configuration without any issue put back everything online. We leave it like that, and patient wait for replace unit for our RS3DC040. We supposed that if we change it now again it will import configuration from disks and behave exactly the same as the one we change to. The one that arrived sees that there is a foreign configuration on disk but it doesnt want to import it. It has exactly the same firmware the one we changed to and the one that came only difference is that one is for 8 disks and the original one is for 4.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hello GGrze2, 

You may need to check if the RAID controller has an option to copy the configuration of the drives.

Typically it should be able to import the configuration. Otherwise, you may need to delete the arrays and recreate the arrays in the same way and using the same disks.

Regards,

Emeth O.

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
GGrze2
Beginner

So we can create confugration on disk without worries about data ?

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi GGrze2,

I would like to send you a private message in order to verify some details and see if we can proceed and contact you over the phone in order to clarify this information.

Please let me know and I will be more than happy to proceed with the next step.

Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi GGrze2,

I would like to know if you still need help with this scenario. If so, please do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you and proceed with the next step.

I will be waiting for your outcome.

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi GGrze2,

I was following up on your thread and I have not seen any activity recently. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate and contact us back and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
GGrze2
Beginner
Hi Emeth_Intel, Its a busy time now for us. So we dont have time right now to make our server offline for some more tests. This week we should have Intel RS3DC080 at our stock so we will probably try to import configuration to it and see if the problem is in config or controller itself. With 3 controllers we will be able to make some test. So for now thank you for ur time.You can close this case, with more information if the problem will still exist ill reopen or make a new one.
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi,

Thank you so much for letting us know the information.

We are going to proceed and close this thread, if you have any other question please do not hesitate and contact us back and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos