Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

My S5520SC is a brick - again!

idata
Employee

Can someone please tell me what to check next.

I've had my S5520SC system working, on and off, for a week now. Today it turned into a brick again.

I was running the Intel RAID Web Console 2 application, and it was merrily initializing one of the volumes I created. After about 40 minutes I came back to check on things; the display was blank, and the fan on the graphics card was on full (something it's never done before). I turned off the system and when I turn it on the POST LEDs do not even light up, and the graphics card fan stays on high.

During a normal POST the graphics card fan goes to high for a second, then switches to low. I cannot tell if this is a graphics card problem or something on the S5520SC, but the fact that the POST LEDs do not even light up indicates it is something very serious.

Could someone please tell me what I can do next?

Cheers, Eric

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Grant_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Eric,

Have you tried the latest BIOS/firmware package for S5520SC? You can get the latest BIOS/firmware package at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=3073&OSFullName=All+Operating+Systems&lang=eng&strOSs=All&submit=Go%21# FRM http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=3073&OSFullName=All+Operating+Systems&lang=eng&strOSs=All&submit=Go%21# FRM

And what is the power supply? How many watts is your graphics card?

Regards,

Grant

idata
Employee

I don't think this was a BIOS problem as the board would not even POST.

I finally found a number to call and was on the phone with Intel technical support. He had me remove the memory, graphics card, and reset the CMOS battery, but nothing changed, the board would not even start to POST - that is none of the POST LEDs would light up.

In the end I sent the board back to Intel and I am waiting for a replacement.

FYI, my power supply is 1250 watts, the max power consumption on my Radeon 4870 is 283 watts.

Cheers, Eric

0 Kudos
Grant_Z_Intel
Employee

Eric,

Hope the replacement can fix your problem.

Regards,

Grant

0 Kudos