Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

NIC X722 for 10GBASE-T (rev 09). Ubuntu Server 20.04.02. Can't change speed and duplex.

Ex-Machine
Novice

Server platform: R2208WFTZSR

NIC: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection X722 for 10GBASE-T (rev 09). 

NIC driver:  i40e 2.8.20-k

System: Ubuntu Server 20.04.02

My internet network configuration - setup#1(pic.08setup1). I need this option. I need to run in this room. This is a workroom. The first router is in the living room.

The second setup doesn't work too(pic.08setup2).

Only the third setup works(pic.08setup3).

I tried to change the speed and duplex. But ethtool won't let me do that. I will not be able to use all the power of the NIC on my internet. So I want to slow down, set duplex and turn off autogen.

Please, tell me what to do.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Ex-Machine,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Before we proceed checking your query, can you please confirm if the NIC X722 for 10GBASE-T is embedded on the server board or is it a PCIe LAN card.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Ex-Machine
Novice

Yes, integrated. I didn’t buy additional cards. There were no additional items in the package.

UPD.

Attempting to change speed, duplex and autoneg leads me to "command not supported or no access". Trying to do this via root is ineffective.

UPD2.

Ethtool has been updated. Other commands are working.

UPD3.

I don't quite understand why he doesn't want to work with a long cable that goes through the wall. But it works with a short cable of the same standard. Is it about the sockets in the walls or the length of the cable? (This is talking about the option pic.08setup2.jpg)

UPD4.

The cable in the wall is also standard 5e.
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Ex-Machine,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Since your query involves Intel Server System, please be informed that this will be best answered by our Server Support community team. We will help you to move this post to the designated team for further assistance. 

Please feel free to contact us if you need assistance from Ethernet support team.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Ex-Machine
Novice

Yes I agree. Thank you

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello Ex-Machine,

Thank you for posting on Intel communities.

To better assist you, can you please confirm the following details:

• Can you please let us know the command being used?
  • Please share a screenshot of the error.
  • Does it happen only with this OS version?
  • Can you please clarify about the set up working with a short cable? so when you use a short cable you can run the commands and activate duplex?
  • Do you know the NVM version install on the ethernet controller?
  • Is this a new installation?

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Ex-Machine
Novice

The commands that I entered. I've tried different combinations of them. The only thing I did not substitute letters for the number of megabits in speed. The wire is not connected now. But I got the same thing when I connected via a cord. I tried to enter them when the device is turned off (ip link set eno1 down), I tried it when it is turned on(ip link set eno1 up). The result is always the same(pic.commands01,commands02).

On other versions of the operating system, I have not tried changing the speed. But I also couldn't get the connection in the cases: pic.setup01, setup02.
I've tried: 1) Ubuntu server - 18.04; 04.20; 20.10; 04.21;
2) Red Hat 8.3.
I have not tried Windows Server.

Not. The main first router runs in pppoe mode. It assigns a static IP address and the server connects quietly (during the installation of the system with usb). After installation, the internet continues to work well. The cord with which it connects easily(pic.cord01 - 5e 3 metres).

firmware-version: 3.31 0x80000d31 1.1767.0

Yes, I received it 11 days ago.

0 Kudos
Ex-Machine
Novice

1.Can you please let us know the command being used?
The commands that I entered. I've tried different combinations of them. The only thing I did not substitute letters for the number of megabits in speed. The wire is not connected now. But I got the same thing when I connected via a cord. I tried to enter them when the device is turned off (ip link set eno1 down), I tried it when it is turned on(ip link set eno1 up). The result is always the same(pic.commands01,commands02).
2.Please share a screenshot of the error.
-//-
3.Does it happen only with this OS version?
On other versions of the operating system, I have not tried changing the speed. But I also couldn't get the connection in the cases: pic.setup01, setup02.
I've tried: 1) Ubuntu server - 18.04; 20.04; 20.10; 21.04;
2) Red Hat 8.3.
4.Can you please clarify about the set up working with a short cable? so when you use a short cable you can run the commands and activate duplex?
Not. The main first router runs in pppoe mode. It assigns a static IP address and the server connects quietly (during the installation of the system with usb). After installation, the internet continues to work well. The cord with which it connects easily(pic.cord01 - 5e 3 metres).
5.Do you know the NVM version install on the ethernet controller?
6.Is this a new installation?
Yes, I received it 11 days ago. Not a speck of dust.

I cannot keep it near the main router. What options:
1) stretch the cat.6 cord? This is about 16 meters from the server where it stands from the main router. I think this should work. The problem is, I'll have to drill the walls. The house has been renovated and this idea looks like a nightmare.
2) I can refuse the second router. Put the switch. But he doesn't want to work through an outlet. It contains a 5e cord. Exit near the main router.
That is why I wanted to disable autoneg and set the speed lower.

I will combine the information. The server is near router # 2(pic.router02). It gives out a dynamic ip. The console tells me - no carrier, no internet. I turn off this router. I plug the server directly into an outlet(pic.outlet). The console says - no carrier, no internet. I carry the server to roter # 1(pic.router01). I connect the short cord 5e(pic.cord01). The server sees the router and gets the Ip. The Internet is there. But I need to leave the server in the room where the outlet and router #2 is located. So I try to make him friends with anything in this room.

0 Kudos
Ex-Machine
Novice

1.Can you please let us know the command being used?
2.Please share a screenshot of the error.
-//-
3.Does it happen only with this OS version?
I've tried: 1) Ubuntu server - 18.04; 04.20; 20.10; 04.21;
2) Red Hat 8.3.
4.Can you please clarify about the set up working with a short cable? so when you use a short cable you can run the commands and activate duplex?
5.Do you know the NVM version install on the ethernet controller?
6.Is this a new installation?
Yes, I received it 11 days ago. Not a speck of dust.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello Ex-Machine,

Thank you for your response.

Can you please try to update the NVM (Non-Volatile Memory) to latest version and check if you can run the commands:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29415/Non-Volatile-Memory-NVM-Update-Utility-for-Intel-Ethernet-Converged-Network-Adapter-X722-Series-for-Intel-Server-Board-S2600WF-WFT-WFQ-WF0-Family

This Intel® Server System R2208WFTZSR includes an Intel® Server Board S2600WFTR, upon checking the validated operating systems for this board I can not see the exact version being used as validated but let me know the result of the NVM update.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024288/server-products/server-boards.html

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
Ex-Machine
Novice

I have installation questions. If I install from a USB flash drive via uEFI. I need to make it bootable. I do it through UltraISO, which file will be bootable?
Ex-Machine_0-1622711042805.png

Also a question about console installation in Ubuntu. I looked here for an example of a command, but I wanted to clarify what exactly to write.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030492/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello Ex-Machine 

The bootable file for EFI is nvmupdate64e.efi which is inside of the folder WFP_V4.10_X722NVMUpdate_EFIx64. 

The example shared is for a different card model however based on the read me notes of Linux* file: 

Updating Your NVM Using Interactive Mode 

1. Extract the update package into a temporary folder. 

2. Start the utility_name by running the executable. For example, on an 

x64 Microsoft* Windows* system, type: 

nvmupdatew64e 

On an x64 Linux* system, type: 

nvmupdate64e   

On an x64 uEFI* system, tupe: 

nvmupdate64e.efi 

3. Follow the prompts to update the NVM image on the desired device. 

The executable file for Linux* is nvmupdate64e. 

Regards, 

Adrian M. 

0 Kudos
Ex-Machine
Novice

It doesn't help me. I am trying to create a bootable USB stick for EFI. I can do this through ultraISO. The program tells me to choose a bootable CD / DVD Image(pic.ultraISO00). I can only choose from 2 files(pic.ultraISO01). Which file should I choose?

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello Ex-Machine,

Please allow me some time to double-check the files and the method being used to update the NVM on this serverboard.

I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello Ex-Machine,

Thank you for your patience.

Can you please try the following command:

1. sudo ethtool -s eno1 speed 1000 duplex full autoneg off

About the bootable USB, in order to perform an NVM firmware update, you do not need to create the "Bootable ISO" with the .bin files. You only need to copy and paste to the root of the USB Driver the files in order to proceed with the firmware accordingly like in the steps provided with the executable file for EFI.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
Ex-Machine
Novice

I have updated the firmware. The first problem was with the USB stick. The second problem is that you need to install the previous firmware version 4.00 first. Then bet 4.10. But the commands still don't work. I get:

Cannot set new settings: Invalid argument.

not setting speed

not setting duplex

not setting autoneg

UPD:

Sudo and root give the same result.

Nothing changed. Can I check my router settings?

UPD: 

Each port is 1 gigabit. Duplex full

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello Ex-Machine,

We appreciate you tried the steps suggested, please allow me some time to further investigate what could be causing this error on the system and get back with more details.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
Ex-Machine
Novice

I can provide you with information from the console. If you specify what exactly. I'll take screenshots. For the long cable, I solved the problem. It was that the wires were cut in the outlet. I didn't know about that. But the very fact why I cannot adjust the settings still confuses me. Because in the future it may be useful to me.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello Ex-Machine,

We have tried to reach you back via email to work on this and better assist you since we have not received an update for several days, the thread will be closed.

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos