Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Need Presale advice on server board

jifrederick
New Contributor I

For many years, I assembled my desktop systems using INTEL Workstation boards.  When they stopped doing them, I went to ASUS and have now had 4 unsatisfactory experiences.  Now, I wont to use INTEL boards and add whatever is not there such as sound cards.   My current machine uses the I9-9900K processor and 4 drives in RAID1 configurations.  

I'd like:

current production, ATX 8"x12" board format, 6 or more SATA3, performance equal or better than I9-9900K.

If anyone can suggest, I would certainly appreciate some help.

John Frederick

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
JoseH_Intel

Hello jifrederick,

Could you detail a bit more what will be the intended purpose for this machine you want to build. Most of the boards currently manufactured by Intel are server and workstation boards for Xeon processors. For consumer/enthusiast segment you can find the newer NUCs with latest generation core processors. If you want to take a look at the servers segment you could check the serverconfigurator.intel.com: https://serverconfigurator.intel.com/exodus/page?eventType=1&targetPageId=1201&defaultFlag=1

I will look forward for your updates

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit:

https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos
jifrederick
New Contributor I

Thanks very much for your prompt reply.  I tried to respond right away, but explored all the wrong ways to do it.  The stress on my machine is to record and clip videos from the cable(1.1 Gig/hour) so I need much RAID1 storage and some computing for the editing.  In the past, I used your D975XBX2 and DZ77RE-75K which had 8 SATA3 ports.  I would like to use Win10.  I see that Dell and others are listing systems on your web site.  I wouldn't rule out buying a packaged system, but I would prefer assembling one using an INTEL board.  A reason is that I use 3.5" HDs with cooling cages that extend them to 5 1/4".  I'll be using a full tower box with 10 5 1/4" drive slots.  My experience is with ATX boards, but I can get any format board installed in the box.   I followed the links that you provided, but found many boards marked "EOL".  I need your help to get focused better.  Thanks again.  John Frederick

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello jifrederick,

Intel has 4 latest server boars currently active, M10JNP2SB (entry level), S2600WF (rack), S2600BP (half-size, blade like) and S2600ST (pedestal). All of them compatible with Intel Xeon processors. Probably, based on the description you tell the one that could suit better your needs might be the M10JNP2SB. It is compatible with Xeon E3 processors, has 6 SATA ports, uATX form factor. It comes on a full Intel chassis solution but might be compatible with 3rd party chassis. The other boards are different formfactor, dual socket capable and in general more robust intended for data centers and/or virtualization.

You can take a look at all of them on the Intel Server Edge website: https://servermarketinglibrary.intel.com/

Also you can check the product website: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/servers.html

For quotes and pricing you will need to check with your closest reseller: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/partner/where-to-buy/overview.html

Hope it helps

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
jifrederick
New Contributor I

Jose A suggested M10JNP2SB which looks good to me.  Now, I'm trying to buy one.   He gave me a list of authorized vendors.  I've sent emails to the first 6 introducing myself as  hobbyist and asking if they're willing to sell me 1 board and 1 processor.  So far, I've not received word 1 in response.  If anyone can help with this, I would appreciate it.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello jifrederick,

Lets wait a couple days more for a reply from any of them. I will follow up with you on next Wednesday 5th.

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello jifrederick,

I am following up just to ask if you have received some updates from any of the distributors you have already contacted.

I will look forward to hear from you

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
jifrederick
New Contributor I

Thanks very much for following up.  I looked carefully at your vendor list and decided that rather than just going top to bottom, Computech might be the best prospect because they deal with loose parts.  I sent them an email Tue. morning asking:

1.        Do you have any interest in dealing with a hobbyist for 1 board and 1 processor?

2.       Can you also provide the memory?

3.       Can you  provide a processor with performance as good as or better than INTEL I9-9900K?

4.       Can you provide or advise on a sound card?

5.       Can you provide or advise on adapters that will let me use the SATA-DOM ports for normal internal SATA drives with RAID1 suport?

As of Thur. 6 am, I've had no response.

If you could advise on the processor and memory, I would appreciate it.

John Frederick

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello jifrederick,

Here

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/197377/intel-server-board-m10jnp2sb.html

you can check the compatible processors for the M10JNP2SB board. Just go down to compatible products > processors. From there you can click on everyone of them and even do a comparison (top right compare button) with any other processor including i9-9900 series. Like this: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=191789,193745

About the memory usually you can check the compatible and validated model from the serverconfigurator.intel.com, but for any reason this board does not show up there. So let me look on this and I will let you know soon.

Regards.

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
jifrederick
New Contributor I

I'm ready to settle on the components of my new system.  You pointed me to a comparison of  the I9-9900K and a Xeon.  The first time that I did that, it showed E-2244.  Now, if I do that, it shows E-2278G.  Based on the numbers and in the absence of any Benchmark test result relevant to my operations, I'll take that as a suggestion of an acceptable level of performance.  I've checked on availability and have not come up with Amazon or Google vendors so I really need your help.  I did a Configurator list for the E-2224 for memory and found a 32G memory which is available through Amazon.  I need help to get back to that Configurator to get the number for whichever processor that I'm getting.

Please:

1.  Clarify whether you were suggesting E-2244 or E-2287G.

2.  Help me get back to the memory list so I can get the number of the memory and clarify whether I need 1 or 2.

3.  Help me find a vendor for the board and processor.  I won't ask them to help with selection.  

John Frederick

0 Kudos
jifrederick
New Contributor I

I found the Configuration guide.  The biggest memory is Samsung 378A4G43MB1-CTD.

I can get that through Amazon.  For the processor, I'll go with whatever you suggest, either E-2224 or E-2278G.  If you can find me a willing vendor, I'll move ahead without asking any more questions.

John Frederick

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello jifrederick,

The best route for finding a reseller is really going to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/find-a-reseller.html

Just type in his zip code and then select "Enterprise" in the "Select Expertise"

What happened is the Authorized Distributors won't sell you unless you have an account with them

Something that I mistakenly tell you is that Juniper Pass doesn't come as an L4-L6 (barebone) or L9 (DCB) integration as there is no Intel Server Chassis for it. You will need to get a 3rd party compatible chassis.

The Configuration Guide for it does include a list of 3rd party components such as RAM, Chassis and cooling solutions:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/m10jnp2sb-config-guide.pdf

Please keep in mind that Xeon E-2100 and E-2200 series processor come with an Intel Cooling Solution (heat sink + fan) as soon as they are Boxed. If you buy a Tray product then the cooling solution needs to be purchased separately.

As far as product distribution, we lately know that some places don't carry parts at the moment but they can order them if a customer places a purchase order.

About the Xeon processors choice probably the budget is the limit, so if you can go with the higher one just go for it.

Hope it helps

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello jifrederick,

I am just following up to ask if had any luck with finding a suitable reseller to purchase your server board, processor and memory. In case you don't just let me know so we can figure out something. I think there might be a couple people that could assist us on this.

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
jifrederick
New Contributor I
Thanks for the follow up.  I looked carefully at Amazon and Google and
found sources.  I'm getting the memory through Amazon, an E-2278G from
CDW, and already have the MB from Newegg.  I try hard to buy through Amazon
but I've dealt with CDW and Newegg before.  A consumer directed MB
would have come with a CD with the drivers, but I've downloaded the
basics from your web site and put them on a USB key.  At this point
the CPU and memory are still outstanding.  I have a big Zalman cooler
for a LGA1151 socket and a Creative Labs sound card.  I may have all
that I need from you except the address of your boss so I can send
him a message complementing you for your patience with me.
Thanks again.
John Frederick
0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello jifrederick,

I am glad to hear you were able to get your setup going. I appreciate you consider that I was somehow helpful. If you agree I will set this thread as resolved. If you want to provide some feedback about the service you can use the survey for this purpose.

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit:

https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos
jifrederick
New Contributor I

1.  My project is moving, but slowly.  I ordered the E-2278G from CDW on 8/11.  Now, at 18 days, its status is "not yet shipped".

2.  I get mixed messages on  the performance of the E-2278G compared to that of a I9-9900K.  If I could get an INTEL-made MB that would accept my I9-9900K and Win 10, I would move it from a (crash prone) ASUS.  Is there such a thing?

Thanks again for your help.

John frederick

0 Kudos